Like Tree77Likes

Jan 14-16: HK Covid News and Updates

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by etienne43:

So the restrictions will remain for weeks and months ....and will finish to destroy the economy
    The restrictions will stay until after the election in September. It's just too convenient a method to keep everyone from protesting.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Which in my book means she caught it in Hong Kong so not imported
    Our government has adopted Mainland style talking points in all aspects. Everything is gonna be an imported case from here on out.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    The restrictions will stay until after the election in September. It's just too convenient a method to keep everyone from protesting.

Our government has adopted Mainland style talking points in all aspects. Everything is gonna be an imported case from here on out.
    If Hong Kong has adopted mainland style talking points.....then they will not took into account all asymptomatic cases......

Press Conference by Dr. Chuang Shuk Kwan

January 14th 2021

Updated at 1706
    Dr. Chuang of CHP announced as of midnight last night there were (9387-9415)
    29 newly confirmed cases in total.
    There are 13 local cases with previous links.
    There are 13 local cases with no previous links.
    3 cases are imported
    As of 4pm today there are over 30 preliminary cases.
    13 patients are Male and 16 patients are Female
    Ages of the patients range from 2 months old to 81 years old
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Introduction by Dr. Chui:
    Dr. Chui Tak-yi said in the past week there have been 311 cases confirmed cases.
    In the past week, 29% are cases with no previous links and 30% are asymptomatic
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CONSTRUCTION WORKERS TESTING:
    Dr. Chui announced that all construction workers will be offered a free one time test starting tomorrow until the end of Jan provided they pre-register online.
    HOSPITAL AUTHORITY (HA)
    As of 9:00am on January 14th
    Patients in hospital: 563 in 25 hospitals and Asia-World Expo
    Patients in critical condition: 42
    Patients in serious condition: 30
    Patients discharged: 47
    0 Patients passed away in the past 24 hours.
    Deaths in Public Hospitals in Hong Kong: 157
    IMPORTED CASES:
    Total Persons 3
    #9389 - UNITED STATES - CX 881 on January 12th
    #9401 - PHILIPPINES - PR 300 on December 24th. She finished her quarantine on January 7th (Quarantine period based on her arrival date was still 14 days in a hotel followed by 7 days home quarantine). This person is a domestic worker who returned to her employers home on January 7th.She started coughing and a few days a later she developed a fever. The employer asked her visit the hospital where she was confirmed with Covid-19. Dr. Chuang said that her employer has been sent to quarantine.
    #9402 - PAKISTAN VIA TURKEY - TK 070 on January 12th
    LOCAL CASES
    CASES RELATED WITH PREVIOUS LINKS:
    Total Persons 9
    Clusters:
    Tseung Kwan O - Lam Tin Tunnel:
    New additional cases today: 2
    There are now 40 people who have tested positive.
    Central - Kowloon Route Tunnel
    Middle Section Tunnel - Ma Tau Kok and Ho Man Tin construction sites.
    New additional cases today: 2
    There are now 22 people who have tested positive.
    No 20, 22, 24 and 26 Reclamation Street, Jordan:
    New additional cases today: 1 positive and 1 preliminary
    There are approximately 30 people who have tested positive.
    A large number of people living there have been sent to quarantine. The police are knocking on doors to ensure that that all residents are tested. Some of the residents are tunnel construction workers who tested positive previously.
    Residential Buildings:
    There are three new buildings that needs to be included in the mandatory testing scheme as two unrelated units have tested positive
    Long Ping No 8, Block 1, Yuen Long. 2 Units have tested positive. 1 Unit has 3 people and the other unit has 1 person.
    163-165 Shanghai Street, Yau Ma Tei. 2 Units have tested positive. 1 person in each unit.
    Shek Yam Estate, Yan Shek House, Kwai Chung. 2 Units have tested positive. 1 Unit has 4 people and the unit 1 person. Dr. Chuang said an additional unit that has tested preliminary positive today. All the residents live in units numbered “09”. CHP has asked Professor Yuen Kwok-Yung to visit the building. Professor Yuen will give his findings later.
    CASES WITH NO PREVIOUS LINKS:
    Total Persons : 13

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    #9401 - PHILIPPINES - PR 300 on December 24th. She finished her quarantine on January 7th (Quarantine period based on her arrival date was still 14 days in a hotel followed by 7 days home quarantine). This person is a domestic worker who returned to her employers home on January 7th.She started coughing and a few days a later she developed a fever. The employer asked her visit the hospital where she was confirmed with Covid-19. Dr. Chuang said that her employer has been sent to quarantine.
    I’ve just picked up on the double whammy of a) this is one of those dangerous FDHs, better lock them all down on their day off and b) this justifies the 21 day QT

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

People living in the area will be required to get tested for Covid even if there has only been a single infection in their blocks.
    Speaking on an RTHK programme, Vincent Cheng from the DAB party said the authorities had been too slow to evacuate residents of the building when the first cases emerged.

Cheng said officials should consider public housing estates and old tenement buildings differently when carrying out mandatory testing.

"Currently, residents living in public housing buildings are required to undergo mandatory testing as soon as cases are reported from two different apartments. But there are hundreds of units in one public housing block... whereas there are only six or seven floors in an old tenement building. So I think the threshold for mandatory testing should be lowered there," he said

Yes, this is absolutely not a problem of not understanding the rationale behind testing, not understanding statistics, not appreciating cost/benefit, automatically defaulting on the most authoritarian solution, and not because of yes-men in Legco that do nothing to resolve the housing problem.

[For those who didn’t quite work out what I meant immediately, the point of test and trace should be to find transmission sources, so the original mandatory testing threshold of four building residents (subsequently lowered to two) might have been conceptually justified by the indicated potential spread from a common source in the building (lobby, lift, security guard {actually I wonder if these people and not just residents are tested}, toilet etc.) Statistically speaking, residents might have been infected from a source outside their building (also spreading to lots of other people not in that same building but going untested, possibly in the same district if a neighbourhood shop), so random chance alone indicates a lot of unnecessary testing is possibly mandated, but instead the fascistic tendencies of those in charge are to lower the threshold for testing in places with fewer units, when the problem is the housing conditions (affordability problems and sub-divided units) these pro-government legislators have been happy to continue to support all this while.

Prevent the problem and stop the spread. Promote rights instead of trampling on them. Seems like housing and COVID both reflect the same failed approach.
    Coolboy, Sage and MABinPengChau like this.

What I love is that the government couldn't do anything about subdivided flats and now their lame approach has come back to bite them in the ass. Because all these subdivided flats- no one knows who lives there or how many or anything, good luck with that tracking effort and mandatory test order...

Coolboy, etienne43, Sage and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    What I love is that the government couldn't do anything about subdivided flats and now their lame approach has come back to bite them in the ass. Because all these subdivided flats- no one knows who lives there or how many or anything, good luck with that tracking effort and mandatory test order...
    Many of these legco members are heavily invested in real estate or landlords themselves, ofcourse they wouldn't do anything about it. These subdivided flats were always a disaster waiting to happen..
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Mandatory testing over over 20 buildings around Jordan - I cant tell from the map I've seen whether Temple Street is in scope but I'm pretty sure it must be. Gov't QT is going to be filling up pretty quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Mandatory testing over over 20 buildings around Jordan - I cant tell from the map I've seen whether Temple Street is in scope but I'm pretty sure it must be. Gov't QT is going to be filling up pretty quickly!
    Of course, government quarantine is a paradise compared to some of the subdivided hellholes I have seen pictures of...but, then, the loss of income (and maybe a job) for being in quarantine balances that out...
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Of course, government quarantine is a paradise compared to some of the subdivided hellholes I have seen pictures of...but, then, the loss of income (and maybe a job) for being in quarantine balances that out...
    I suspect there'll be a few running for cover to protect what meagre income they currently earn if they haven't already done so together with one or two, shall we say politely, illegal immigrants.

But as every door closes I'm sure there'll be a whole host of other landlords available to rehouse in equally shabby conditions elsewhere