Like Tree371Likes

The decline of Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevil_666:
    Please remove the long settled ethnic minorities and migrant workers from these statistics and if you look at expats (foreigners who have been recruited from abroad for a skilled and well paid position) the absolute numbers in Shanghai might be as high, and possibly even higher, than HK. I spend a good half of my year in Shanghai. I know what I'm talking about.
    Any numbers to support this?

Perhaps if we take International Baccalaureate schools as a proxy. Shanghai has an impressive 27 schools for its 22 million while HK has 70 for 7 million. Yes Shanghai or Shenzhen are the cities that were normalizing the most and Hong Kong has stagnated for 25 years but still somewhat of a gap - closing faster

When I visited Shenzhen, Shanghai and Beijing about 5 years ago, I thought there's no way I would live there.

When I visited Shenzhen and Shanghai about 2 years ago, I thought there were some areas which were pretty nice.

The way those cities were improving relative to how HK has changed these couple of years, I would realistically consider moving there if the right opportunity came along. Of course there are other places around the world I'd prefer, but compared to HK right now, it's quite close.

Original Post Deleted
    HK is not just standing still. It's actually regressed in so many aspects.
    ycchai, tf19, Coolboy and 4 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Is this a joke? we would not be in this shithole if those workers trying to sort out this mess has a brain bigger than a pea. For those of us who has lived in what many claims to be the "third world", we realised while its not a lot better but definitely not in the barrel bottom situation.

English widely spoken is a joke among my friends from commonwealth countries, how did it being run by Brits for 100 years and still can't order meals in aircraft in English. I was sitting next to some TVB movie star!!! jeeezzz

Low tax because they already taxed you using overpriced property

A lot less corruption is just that you don't know about them or rather HK has evolved to more "elegant" corruption practices. Does not mean that they don't exist
    TheDevil_666, Plutark and Viktri like this.

HK is not just standing still. It's actually regressed in so many aspects.
    seems like the plan all along from the middle kingdom is working then.
    Coolboy and East_coast like this.

Frankly if you told anyone from outside HK that we pay US$2m for a tiny shoebox and call it a "luxury flat", they'd either marvel at our unbelievable stupidity, pity our predicament, or simply laugh at our faces. It's a daily insult to be paying such ridiculous rents and attendant prices for inferior quality of accommodation, goods, and services. Its a bloody joke!

Frankly if you told anyone from outside HK that we pay US$2m for a tiny shoebox and call it a "luxury flat", they'd either marvel at our unbelievable stupidity, pity our predicament, or simply laugh at our faces. It's a daily insult to be paying such ridiculous rents and attendant prices for inferior quality of accommodation, goods, and services. Its a bloody joke!
    Now that is true.
    alexdown and Edwardstorm like this.

Yet expats still come to HK. Either a sucker is born every minute or there are some expats who are actually part of the "problem", working for a system that creates overpriced tiny flats.
    timothwc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Yet expats still come to HK. Either a sucker is born every minute or there are some expats who are actually part of the "problem", working for a system that creates overpriced tiny flats.
    Most expats are coming in with a package or a decent offer. Nobody is coming to work at local salaries. They're not particularly concerned about buying a place in HK. They work for a few years, enjoy their Asian sojourn, and then go home.
    BCD and TheBrit like this.

Most expats are coming in with a package or a decent offer. Nobody is coming to work at local salaries. They're not particularly concerned about buying a place in HK. They work for a few years, enjoy their Asian sojourn, and then go home.
    But you are avoiding my point. There are expats who come to HK who contribute to the "mini-zing" of the flat size and overpricing of real estate in this city because they directly or indirectly work for these developers. Don't they have a responsibility too?

Closed Thread
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast