Like Tree371Likes

The decline of Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

The decline of Hong Kong

A thread just to post the reports and rankings that reflect the current approach to governance

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...s-entering-job

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    A thread just to post the reports and rankings that reflect the current approach to governance

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...s-entering-job
    Birth rates are dropping right across APAC aren't they?

I think it's to do with, inter alia, increased female empowerment and higher levels of tertiary education

Probably pricey accommodation doesn't help either. Japan solved that one with the crash in the 90s but the rest of them are still on the bubble side
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Birth rates are dropping right across APAC aren't they?
    HK already had one of the lowest birth rates common with modern developed pluralistic societies. Are you comparing this further 13% drop in one year with...
    Last edited by East_coast; 31-01-2021 at 10:45 PM.
    aw451 likes this.

I think the brain drain from the outflow of BNO holders is a more immediate threat - population in HK is not declining like it is in japan.

Here is another

“We are now getting a lot of questions from companies about this; it has never occurred before in my time. We have large private equity clients who never used to care about arbitration clauses coming to us with the simple question of ‘is it safe to leave Hong Kong as the seat [of arbitration]?’”
    https://www.ft.com/content/1070440a-...7-2c0e781fd7db
    zerg8, spode and Gatts like this.

A lot of my local colleagues are at the age when one would traditionally have kids. The overwhelming view is "what's the point? I'm 30, live with my parents, can't afford to buy a flat with my significant other and even if I could have kids they will never have a childhood because of the shitty system".

Quite a few have also been asked to look after their elderly relatives in their spare time and therefore have no time to look for a romantic partner all while the window for having kids is slowly closing.

Even before the virus, protests, human rights issues the levels of nihlism in the younger generation were sky high. The structure of society has changed a lot as HK became more middle class but there have been no policies to address it.

Last edited by aw451; 31-01-2021 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Even before the virus, protests, human rights issues the levels of nihlism in the younger generation were sky high. The structure of society has changed a lot as HK became more middle class but there have been no policies to address it.
    Weak child care support has a lot to do with it. Who takes care of the kids when both parents are at work? For the fortunate few, there are maids or grandparents who still have the time and strength to do so. But most in HK don't have this luxury. Yes, there is child support in HK, but it is limited and does not come close to meeting the needs of most couples. And why is it weak and limited? It all goes back to a lack of good social support system. The government simply offload any kind of support it should provide to the families themselves. But with sky high housing cost and long working hours, most families simply don't have time and money to have kids. It all becomes a vicious cycle. There is little support outside of families. So couples decide not to have kids. Government therefore does not see need to provide much child care support. Sad and disappointing, but that's the reality.
    merchantms, Baklava, rs4 and 1 others like this.

And lest anyone forget, this is the sort of mentality we have in government, how can HK not decline with this:

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/01/30/ho...inst-covid-19/

Sith and spode like this.

Over-supply of elite human resources across the border. Should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Weak child care support has a lot to do with it. Who takes care of the kids when both parents are at work? For the fortunate few, there are maids or grandparents who still have the time and strength to do so. But most in HK don't have this luxury. Yes, there is child support in HK, but it is limited and does not come close to meeting the needs of most couples. And why is it weak and limited? It all goes back to a lack of good social support system. The government simply offload any kind of support it should provide to the families themselves. But with sky high housing cost and long working hours, most families simply don't have time and money to have kids. It all becomes a vicious cycle. There is little support outside of families. So couples decide not to have kids. Government therefore does not see need to provide much child care support. Sad and disappointing, but that's the reality.
    So many post on Geo about how having a helper is because you are a slave master or can’t clean up your own messes. But it’s really because there is ZERO childcare support for parents. Kindergarten is 2-3 hours a day and will be the first thing to shut when there’s a virus/protest/cold weather/etc. Even Singapore which has a helper culture still has proper nurseries and kindies with a full school day.

If people know that both parents will have to work plus they have to employ a helper if they want kids and a halfway decent place to live - yes I can see why many don’t have kids or only have one.
    Coolboy, pin, shri and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle:
    I think the brain drain from the outflow of BNO holders is a more immediate threat - population in HK is not declining like it is in japan.

Here is another

https://www.ft.com/content/1070440a-...7-2c0e781fd7db
    Could you post the article in PDF or similar? I'd like to have a read at it...In the browser usually it's in File - print - Print to PDF.

Thanks!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast