Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 4 Post By pin
  • 1 Post By AsianXpat0

Sing Tao (The Standard) - New Majority Shareholder

Sing Tao (The Standard) - New Majority Shareholder

Looks like the current owners are cashing out.

The largest share holder will be

Guo Xiaoting, 27, is the vice chairwoman and executive director of mainland China property management firm Kaisa Prosperity (2168).

She graduated from the University of Durham, attained a bachelor of business administration in 2016 and then gained a master of science in sustainability management at Columbia University in the City of New York in 2017.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...tion/2/227182/
    Last edited by shri; 26-08-2021 at 08:22 PM.

Sing Tao has shifted to become a pretty hardcore pro-establishment paper for over a decade now. So I don't see any big changes in terms of its editorial stance and choice of news reported because of this change in ownership. Maybe they will switch to simplified characters. Maybe it will become more like global times, as an attack dog of the pro-establishment. Not much difference either way.

"She graduated from the University of Durham, attained a bachelor of business administration in 2016 and then gained a master of science in sustainability management at Columbia University in the City of New York in 2017."

the obsession with fake degrees is amazing here

Why would you say it's fake?

hullexile likes this.

I recall - what now seems hundreds of years ago now (hyperbole) - when that paper has a a weekly Computer themed mini-magazine issued with it.

I used to pick up a separated copy when it was available at "Golden Computer Centre" But it was never a great "exposee" source of info.

Nowadays: my favored free tech info source is "The Register,com" and has [for me] been a must-read with every issue. Go get it !!

New owner is clearly a successful high achieving entrepreneur.

Well done to her and her hard work in the purchase of Sing Tao.

shri, Flapster, cookie09 and 1 others like this.

The US subsidiary of Singtao is ordered to register as a foreign agent by the US Department of Justice. Wonder if the ownership change has anything to do with that:

https://www.axios.com/doj-chinese-owned-sing-tao-newspaper-foreign-agent-ec811039-da9d-455e-88c9-e2e2f2405a69.htm

More importantly, does this mean other US subsidiaries of HK-based media outlets with a pro-establishment bent will be deemed as foreign agents? TVB would be the next obvious target. Who knows, maybe SCMP will follow after that.

Last edited by Coolboy; 26-08-2021 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    Am I missing an obvious connection here with the new owners of ST?

No, just didn’t want to start a new thread about media. Thought about posting in SCMP bias, but more remote than ownership relating to journalistic standards and unquestioningly taking numbers from certain parties wholesale.

shri likes this.