Like Tree202Likes

LeaveHomeSafe - No longer "Voluntary"

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Lunch today (NT), nothing. Dinner last night, paper (and lunch). Dinner this evening.was the most insistent... In the club where we live so they know us personally anyway. Rediculous.

UK now reporting that crowded beaches in summer resulted in ZERO transmission. If HK government applied evidence based science, more people would take heed.of their suggestions.
    You’ve been out a LOT for someone worried about the potential for being quarantined. And yeah your club knows everything about you and will hand it all to CHP if asked.

I’ve been to one restaurant and beauty salon since Thursday and neither asked for a code. Restaurant made me fill paper and the salon has my details already.
    pin, MatthieuTofu, AliT and 1 others like this.

Some of you might not know this, but GeoExpat has a feature where you can read messages from future years. I found this one from 2023 which I thought was pretty interesting:

Guys, I’m beginning to reach my wit’s end. My Leave Home Safe score was too low to enter the MTR station this morning, so I was almost an hour late for work. I think my score got lowered because I was near that illegal protest in CWB on Sunday, but the app doesn’t give you any f**ing explanation for why your score is suddenly so low. I wasn’t even part of the protest! I was just going to Ikea! I really miss the days before real-name registration for Octopus cards. I really miss being able to just use public transport without my entire personal history following me around and punishing me (in this case for something I didn’t even do). I know it’s illegal to talk about this, but I really just need to get it off my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Have any of you actually been out since Thursday? I went out to eat yesterday and filled in a form at the front of the restaurant. They just had small pre printed sheets of paper asking for name, phone number, date and time. You could write anything and no one would know. They also had the QR code at the front of the door. Again, you could just pretend you scanned it and no one would check.
    I was wondering if the LHS app makes some audible noise when you scan a code so that we can simply play that noise whilst pretend scanning?

That'll help sooth the nerves of the restaurant staff who don't deserve all this crap and importantly, throw any self-confessed snitches off the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anahan:
    Some of you might not know this, but GeoExpat has a feature where you can read messages from future years. I found this one from 2023 which I thought was pretty interesting:

Excellent.

You win the thread. Congrats.

Original Post Deleted
    That is beyond ridiculous... While many will have left for better climes including myself, there will always be others coming as long as the money is there and the HK government has done absolutely nothing to specifically target expats. Your perceived slight of the extended quarantine and UK flight ban has likely affected locals at least as much as expats with international students away and the hundreds of thousands of HK people abroad.

If you said that the HK government is not overly upset to lose some of its ideologically troublesome residents to replace them with more pliable mainland residents, the theory has some legs but expats? They don't care too much either way and I doubt that expats come up in discussions. We are relatively inconsequential replaceable mercenaries.

Typical.. Now we have fake apps to go along with fake vaccines.

Original Post Deleted
    They don’t care about expats, most of them are high earners who contribute to the tax base and have zero interest in local politics. Many expats here have worked in mainland or have regular cross border business and do so with no issues. Very few of us here and we’re not that important.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    I have no issues with people not wanting to use the app or using a burner to do so if they leave proper contact details. If you're Jimmy Lai, it seems sensible. For 98% of the population, it seems paranoid but whatever floats people's boat. What do I care if the government knows I've been to a particular restaurant or building? I have issues with people trying to game the system, lying and hiding to avoid being found in case of necessary testing. The excuse that the government might all of a sudden round up everyone that's been in a particular location and send them to quarantine is again somewhat paranoid though they did put a bunch of kids and teachers doing exams in a hall which seemed a bit over the top. The more likely and sensible path is that people be informed/tracked to be tested. I accept the risk of being quarantined because the flip side of hiding myself while being positive and infecting/sending potentially dozens of others into quarantine/hospital as one moron did is simply just too selfish, if anyone was that irresponsible, I would fire/ditch them in a nanosecond. Ironically the reason why harder quarantine and stricter tracing is necessary is illustrated here by the amount of people that are quite happy to flout rules because they are more concerned about themselves than the risk to others. I certainly don't disagree that there are flaws and inconsistencies in the government's approach but if they are trying ways to open up businesses more quickly and being more selective in targeted closures/testing, I'm all for that instead of everything being shutdown.
    the problem with the quarantine rules isn’t actually the people flouting them. It is the leniency of the sentences handed down for those breaking the rules. We are still seeing cases coming to court from home quarantine breaches. Apart from the infamous guy that went on the run and got a hefty sentence for it a 14 day stretch and a comparatively notional fine seems to be the norm meted out.

I had to set my boundaries before activating the app in the hotel. If there was a QT tracing app of any worth and a tracing bracelet that sent an alert if tampered with both home and hotel quarantine could be done on much more sensible terms. Home QT doesn’t stop people from mixing but there are spot checks.

Combine all that with a much higher financial threshold and much stiffer sentences and I believe they could reduce QT to 14 plus 7 days at home and still keep the 12 and 19 day testing.
    Jillypots likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Typical.. Now we have fake apps to go along with fake vaccines.
    In a statement issued on Saturday, authorities say they have noticed a growing number of fake LeaveHomeSafe apps, adding that the suspected cases have been referred to the police for investigation.
    Using a fake app isn't actually illegal, is it? The requirement is for businesses to post the QR code. There is no requirement for you to use the app to scan it.