Like Tree202Likes

LeaveHomeSafe - No longer "Voluntary"

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Looks like many venues are not going to implement the secondary contact tracing paper trail option. Either scan using the LeaveHomeSafe or leave the establishment.
    That must be a HK island thing. Every single place we have been in has offered the paper first.....

Original Post Deleted
    Unbelievable. So when we get an unknown cluster some idiot like you will be feeling smug that you gave fake details making it impossible to track you.

There are people who post on Geo whose identities are extremely easy to piece together based on what they share here, but they’re all about fake names at the soccer pitch.
    TheBrit, shri and Aramis like this.

So I went out today expecting to use the app everywhere and not a single place required I check in. Many stores didn't have the QR anywhere to be seen still, and had so many open air entrances I wouldn't know which one to look for it at. Even eateries didn't seem to be monitoring it and people were walking right by the QRs without bothering. Feels like the temperature scans have been more strictly policed.

I wonder if this is down to a neighborhood thing. I've never seen the authorities crack down on anything here but parking violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    So I can use an old phone and install the app and then without any SIM card scan the app?
    Thats what we are doing.
    Elegiaque and Trance Omega like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:

Also those of us that are filling in the paper forms should not fool ourselves. Where are those papers going? We maybe giving more information by filling in the form. Are they all going to the government and being OCRed?

Filling in the form you have to be careful, too best you don't put a full name/phone and just an email address to anonymise yourself further.
    So far nobody has commented that my name and number are practically illegible.....

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Unbelievable. So when we get an unknown cluster some idiot like you will be feeling smug that you gave fake details making it impossible to track you.

There are people who post on Geo whose identities are extremely easy to piece together based on what they share here, but they’re all about fake names at the soccer pitch.
    I would have no problem with sharing my information if 1. I thought it would only be used for Covid and 2. If there was not a risk of being thrown in prison for 14 days just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Yet another issue is that the APP has as whole record as to where you have been, if you are stopped and searched they can collect that data... The app could be made to upload that data at some stage, next time it updates etc...etc...

The security/privacy architecture is broken in many places, starting form the HK Government itself operating it.

Also those of us that are filling in the paper forms should not fool ourselves. Where are those papers going? We maybe giving more information by filling in the form. Are they all going to the government and being OCRed?

Filling in the form you have to be careful, too best you don't put a full name/phone and just an email address to anonymise yourself further.
    The restaurant I visited told me they retain the paper unless there is an outbreak then shred it after 30 days. I guess they will only know if the person who was infected happened to be one of the minority of people who seem to be using the app.

Basically the paper trail is a necessary (I'm never going to be able to teach grandma how to use the app) but massive hole in the system.

I don't think visiting a restaurant or shop that gets a positive case will make you a close contact subject to quarantine, I think you may get on a mandatory testing list instead. Have they publicized what action they will take? I think they could handle this in a more PR-friendly way and get more cooperation...

merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:

Like what HK_Katherine said... I generally support using technology to track cases, but here the consequences are a bit harsh and uncertain here. I thought you, too, were concerned about the ramification of you being separated from your kids if you had to go to quarantine or hospitalized? It's just a matter for me of being as able as possible to take care of my responsibilities at home. Although, thankfully, I think I have figured out how to handle this if worst comes to worst. It has been the uncertainty of what will happen and how to handle it -- with the worst case looking like pets dragged off to AFCD, unable to care for complicated special needs.

@MABinPengChau I'm also curious about this... what does it mean if, say, a server were positive at a restaurant you went to? Quarantine? Testing? What does it mean if you go to a sports class with someone positive?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Like what HK_Katherine said... I generally support using technology to track cases, but here the consequences are a bit harsh and uncertain here. I thought you, too, were concerned about the ramification of you being separated from your kids if you had to go to quarantine or hospitalized? It's just a matter for me of being as able as possible to take care of my responsibilities at home.
    Of course I’m worried but I can limit my movements rather than leave fake details.

In any case only close contacts are sent to Q, and that would be if a friend or colleague tests positive and gives my info to CHP. That doesn’t require the app at all. So best way to mitigate risk is reduce socializing and going out, not lying.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast