Like Tree202Likes

LeaveHomeSafe - No longer "Voluntary"

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Hospital Union protesting over the app saying its to spy on people. Even the HK govt denies it and they are pissed about it.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

Last edited by gardabble; 19-02-2021 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    I just tested the app and it pulls the infection data from this API every time you check in and out of a venue.

https://www.regqr.gov.hk/app/v2/batc...h.json?noembed
    Does it retry if you checkout with no connection - e.g. while in airplane mode?

As what cal just said above... all the app’s functionalities could easily be done by recording where you’ve dined at in a diary (or even just take photos of the food and restaurant or something) and paying more or less attention to the news every night after the daily 4:30pm CHP press conference.

The only ‘advantage’ of the app seems to be if and when the government starts imposing more stringent mandatory testing.

Can the government "gain more trust" if they just open-sourced the app (including server-side) and prove to people that it's not doing anything funny with personal data?

I think there are plenty like https://github.com/opentrace-community or https://opensource.com/article/20/7/...ontact-tracing

Well... 2 and a half days after implementation, I can say that LESS people seem to be dining in at lunchtime than prior to mandatory contact tracing.

Original Post Deleted
    1) Why connect to their wifi I have my own data plan? If I did connect to their wifi (highly unlikely) is the HK govt set up (AND is pac coffee set up) to get/supply that info quickly and easily to trace people and 'do their bidding'?

2) I didn't pay, my friend paid. And he used his octopus which is anonymous.

Do you understand how your comparison between the LHS app and other aspects of daily life is poor?

And finally, Yes, sorry to agree with you on this, but you do sound paranoid. Frankly living with that kind of constant background stress is much more likely to be dangerous to your long term health than covid, which is still vanishingly rare in HK and mild in most people.

You obviously know that you have an immune system, designed to cope with germs picked up off a dirty spoon, do you have a good reason why you don't trust it?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    So you’re feeling is that your personal way of dealing with the situation means that we should all tow the line and use the app?

For those like me not currently using the app it shows just how far the distrust of anything originating from leadership has now extended.

It will become compulsory because that’s the only answer this government has. It will be mandatory in government buildings from 1st March. How I wish it would extend to the shops as well.

I repeat an earlier comment. We all want to live with Covid and prevent its spread but not under these current terms.

Original Post Deleted
    Main difference is that the government owns the data gathered from the LeaveHome app whereas they need a warrant to get your credit card history.
    hike, Sage, alexdown and 2 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Was "NO, it's simply neither practical nor realistic"

Original Post Deleted
    What don't you understand? The central crux of the issue it seems.

The ap is COMPULSORY (unless you work out ways round it, which we have already done)
    Credit card/ wifi/ even carrying a smart phone is purely optional.

Do you understand the difference? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast