Like Tree75Likes

Heritage Foundation.... byeeee

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

So what happens if you say One country one system... isn't that a patriotic idea?
    Can you get punished for that....

Original Post Deleted
    The plan is to make sure that nobody - in Hong Kong or anywhere else in Greater China - dares to challenge the great Emperor Pooh again. The goal is not to win, because clearly that goal has been achieved, but to destroy the opposition and eliminate anything that they used in their rebellion.

Xi is not a long-term thinker. It's possible he doesn't have that luxiry...
    PointingFinger, Sage and Fenix2 like this.

I agree.

Certainly not everyone in the PRC agrees with the current policies, but what can they do.

Ultimately the emperor want's control, that control comes at a price, but as long as that price is paid mostly by others then it will be deemed worthwhile. If the price becomes too high for them and there's a risk of loss of control in other areas as a result then some tweaking will occur.

But after Jiang and Hu the direction of travel has been pretty much one way only, boundaries will continue to be pushed.

Original Post Deleted
    I doubt Beijing cares much about HK. We're merely a pawn on a chessboard: a show of strength, both for domestic 'stability' and making a statement in the name of geopolitical relations.

Sure, Hong Kong still holds tangible benefit to Mainland China, and I don't believe there's deliberate intent to destroy this city (the word "destroy" is subjective anyways; i'm sure they'd disagree with our definition) - but these days we're a city of diminishing importance in relation to China as a whole, which is a sad reality.
    tf19 and shri like this.

Original Post Deleted
    By 'exclusion', are they insinuating that Hong Kong is not part of China which, as far as I know, is 107th on the ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    By 'exclusion', are they insinuating that Hong Kong is not part of China which, as far as I know, is 107th on the ranking?
    I wondering when the mainland tax code comes to Hong Kong. Mainlanders working in Hong Kong had to pay mainland taxes, which would be fair whack. If I had to do the same, doubt if I could afford school / childcare + rental + pay bills + food.

1C, 1S.

It was all overrated anyways ... now that the burden is lifted, all of HK's problems can be solved.

https://twitter.com/alvinllum/status...84658750525440

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    It was all overrated anyways ... now that the burden is lifted, all of HK's problems can be solved.[/url]
    I agree with this sentiment. It's usually trollop coming out of Regina's mouth, yet the responses to this comment were mostly negative; but indeed for too many years the government had been motivated by ego and blinded by complacency. Well that explains the education system... the unhealthy fixation on leaderboards goes right to the top.