Like Tree79Likes

ESF: Unpaid leave / Disciplinary Actions For Teachers Refusing Tests

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

ESF: Unpaid leave / Disciplinary Actions For Teachers Refusing Tests

Teachers at Hong Kong’s biggest international school group could be put on unpaid leave and face disciplinary action if they refuse to take regular Covid-19 tests, the Post has learned.

The revelations followed the English Schools Foundation’s (ESF) decision last week that more than 2,600 staff members at kindergartens and schools must be screened by this week to meet an Education Bureau condition for bringing all pupils back into the classroom.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...unish-staff-if

Original Post Deleted
    Nah. They're all towing the line. Either test or only have 1/3 of students back - it's up to the schools. ESF is simply bowing to pressure since it's a for-profit institution whereas parents at local schools don't have the clout to demand the same.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Wonder if this is legal?

MatthieuTofu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Wonder if this is legal?
    Yeah, ESF says it is but who knows?

More in a "watch the world burn" kind of way, I'd like to see ESF try and handle it all if even 5 or 10% of staff refuse to be tested. It's easy to threaten but you can't just replace these key components of the system easily or effectively. I'd say it's actually impossible, especially with current circumstances.
    MatthieuTofu and HK_Katherine like this.

The irony if the CEO Greer was still stuck in the UK...
    shri and Baklava like this.

Good. Let's find more educators that care about their students' long term health more than they do about their morning commute.

As I said previously, tie testing to something these teachers desire (open travel for example) and watch all these "legitimate concerns" fade way.

It is a difficult situation.

Not get tested for whatever reason and run at a 1/3 capacity, resulting in school cuts, job loses and not to mention students mental health and progress.

Spit in a bottle provided by the school for ease of mind and work towards returning to full capacity, job security and giving the students the best possible service.

No teacher wants to work on ZOOM for the rest of their life, but some don't think about the bigger picture.

I don't think it is needed, but I also don't think it is the huge risk that some teachers are implying. And I think the double standards being displayed are astounding.

If schools could open with no testing, the great. That is ideal. But if opening up is dependent on spitting in a bottle once a fortnight then get on with it.

I still haven't seen a "legitimate concern" with testing that makes sense to me.

This is a mess... Why not test the sewage to see if there are positives and then test everyone including kids if there are positives? Teachers and staff are a small proportion of a school population and transmission is more likely between students who will be in closer contact so this program doesn't make much sense unless everyone is tested or maybe some kind of random spot testing including students. Of course, it's easier for the organization to target the employees. There is a form of union within ESF, I guess they could try to pressure management, if teachers band together, it could get a lot messier.

It would also be important to specify what will happen in case of a positive test. It's been pointed out that a whole hall of students were sent to quarantine even though they were all masked and distanced. What happens if there's a positive in a primary school? Teachers are parents too so what happens to their families if they are sent to quarantine because they are deemed a close contact.

Instead of announcing a policy and scrambling to figure out the details, maybe the opposite should be done. Guess it's par for the course in dealing with the virus... Trial by error.

whats the point of testing 5% of the school population when none of the school kids are not tested? Test them all.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast