Like Tree84Likes

March 13 - Mid Levels Ambush Testing in Progress

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Hopefully no one in there and if they are, hopefully they have access to the shop and its inventory.
    There may be a lot of kosher wine consumed tonight...
    shri, Coolboy and mrgoodkat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    Just to be clear, that's the synagogue on the left - which actually technically isn't included in the lockdown area, although the entrance may be. The community centre itself - school, restaurant, kosher shop, etc. is in the lower floors of one of the residential towers...
    So does that mean by default they would also be included in the lockdown/affected by it, albeit they may not necessarily be tested?

There may be a lot of kosher wine consumed tonight...
    Actually this post made me realize I've never seen a bottle of manischewitz in Hong Kong. I wonder where practicing Jews do get their Kosher wine...

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    So does that mean by default they would also be included in the lockdown/affected by it, albeit they may not necessarily be tested?
    As I understand it, anyone in the lockdown area, resident or not, is liable to be held and tested - I honestly don't know if they're doing in-person services at the synagogue (I'm a twice-a-year sort of person) right now or not, but if anyone was there for the end of Sabbath service on Saturday evening, I'd *hope* they'd be allowed out. If not, I'm sure someone will give them a room/bed for the night...

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    Actually this post made me realize I've never seen a bottle of manischewitz in Hong Kong. I wonder where practicing Jews do get their Kosher wine...
    That would be at the kosher shop in Robinson Place

That would be at the kosher shop in Robinson Place
    I have fond memories of getting effed up with my flat buddy and best mate in New York who was Kosher on this tipple. I'll need to grab a bottle for old times sake if I get locked down as well. L'chaim

There’s something strange
    in the neighborhood
    who you gonna call?
    TheBrit and alexdown like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Actually, its "bimmer", not "beamer" . Beamer are for BMW motorbikes, Bimmer are for their automobiles. And that second-hand 3 series cost a lot to me. I don't change cars very often, because they are expensive. I don't buy one for status, I buy one because I need a car for use. But I bet to some of you, my 3 series would only be spare change.

And yes rich folks do deserve a taste. I can't afford to live in Mid-levels. I don't have a kid at Harrows or HKIS. But I am glad they are now getting the same treatment as more working class neighbourhoods.

Bottom line, I don't see why some folks can be exempted from being called out. I treat everyone equally. I judge them by their conduct, not how rich they are, or what colour of skin they have. Rich and stupid dancing tai tais were rightly called out for spreading the previous cluster. Now these gym users, many of them expats, also are the source of this cluster. Why should they be exempted from being called out? Why should they get special treatment?
    If it makes you feel better I now live in the mid-levels but I can't afford to have a car or a carpark. My wife and I work our butts off to make rent here (and we do live close to the Robinson place case so we are obviously concerned) - we live here because schooling options are generally better than our previous neighborhood of North Point.

We do frequent the gym and yoga studios because its our primary channel of entertainment / stress relief. We wear masks at the gym and get tested on a regular basis.

Understandably the latest outbreak feels like a class war (make no doubts, I also judged the Tai tai dancing cluster) but I think that people need to understand that even the Mid-Levels are not 100% expat. My building, similar to Robinson Place, is probably 80-90% local vs a few expat or mixed families.

Bottom line we're in this together - it's ultimately a matter of how quickly we can get herd immunity via vaccination.
    natino, shri, Baklava and 3 others like this.

I also judged the Tai tai dancing cluster
    That one had a lot of potential with the Gaw Yatch and some Exco guy's wife not answering her phone for 13 days and then doing 1 day quarantine. But the govt has wised up since then - hopefully.
    tf19 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I agree. It doesn’t feel right for so many good reasons... but maybe it works?
    For what it’s worth, from our personal experience tonight, it looks way more dramatic than it is. For us, at least, it was faster than the testing centre this morning. And tomorrow at 9am it’ll be over. Not that we ever go out that early on a Sunday. In the end, still much better than real, protracted lockdowns in many other countries.
    shri likes this.