Like Tree306Likes

Covid Vaccination - First hand experiences

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Covid Vaccination - First hand experiences

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    Would be good if people can share their experiences after getting the jab.
    Absolutely seamless experience, even from booking. I showed up 20 mins early to my time slot, walked straight in and was done in 30 mins. There is an enthusiastic green-jacket army of people ushering you around. Almost zero waiting (except your 15 mins. post-vac wait -- bring something to do). The nurse who vaccinated me said she's a nursing lecturer at HKU.

As much as I love complaining, holy crap, it is very well orchestrated. I almost felt teary-eyed. The government was so quiet about the vaccines, but obviously someone was very busy carefully planning how this would be executed and all the necessary supplies to operate being obtained. (I'll leave out my snide remark here about who might win from all the sparkling new supplies for the center...)

Highly recommend everyone go if only to cash in on this incredible privilege that comes after years of paying your taxes and putting up with all the past few years have brought us here in HK.

I was quite tired that afternoon and fell asleep and had a headache (I hadn't slept much either before). My arm really stung the next day. For two nights, couldn't sleep with pressure on that arm. After that, all good!

Can't wait to get the next dose and be done with this! Just wish I could feel more freedom from the worry of the quarantine lockups.

Hope I don't fall over dead tomorrow, but I think the process is flawless here...

PS -- I went to Ap Lei Chau on what I think was their first day open, so hence maybe the peppiness. I, too, am wondering what it'll be like on a weekend after all the bookings opened.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 18-03-2021 at 10:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueagles:
    Would be good if people can share their experiences after getting the jab.
    I had my 1st jab on 17 Mar at Sun Yat Sen (SYS). The needle was so fine the jab itself was painless to me vs the thicker needle from the yearly flu vaccines. No side effects started until - 2 hrs later, injection site soreness (when I raise my arm or press lightly on it) and 5 hrs later, sleepiness / tiredness. Luckily I had my jab in the afternoon so the tiredness setting in at night helped me sleep well. The day after, only injection site soreness remained. By today (2 days later), soreness almost gone.

SYS staff were very efficient and nice. They did ask about medical history like allergies, high blood pressure, etc. Even when I had a priority group booking, only my HKID and phone sms booking confirmation was required. I did not produce nor was asked to show extra documentation for priority group, though I did carry them if necessary. Perhaps it’s bec. I qualify anyway due to 30-59yo. After the 15 mins post-jab wait, I was on my way out and given a sticker and a packet of face masks. No blue “protected” pin / badge like I’ve seen on other social media, lol..

One advice I would give to those who are having their jabs taken at community centres like SYS (vs other facilities like hospitals) that have a 13:30-14:30 disinfection window — If your booking time is 14:30, 1st slot in the afternoon, DO NOT come earlier than your stated time or you will be waiting in a queue outside the building, which can be quite hot with the temperature these days. You should be fine to arrive between 14:30-14:59. Centres like SYS close for disinfection 13:30-14:30. I chose 14:30 as I thought it best to come when the place had just been disinfected. And I came 30 mins early, only to wait in the queue outside the building. If it is not the first slot of the morning or afternoon, then you can come earlier as you are able to enter the airconditioned building to either wait for your turn or get jabbed earlier if place is not busy. Note that a friend’s daughter did hers at 14:30 at St. Pauls and she could enter the building even if she arrived early as they don’t have that 13:30-14:30 disinfection window.

One more thing - since SYS is a government facility, staff asked people to either scan the LeaveHomeSafe QR code or fill in a paper form. I did the latter but it was never collected in the end. I even offered it 2x at 2 different check points but they didn’t take it.
    Last edited by hkgcat; 19-03-2021 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgcat:
    After the 15 mins post-jab wait, I was on my way out and given a sticker and a packet of face masks. No blue “protected” pin / badge like I’ve seen on other social media, lol..
    I didn't get a sticker and face masks!

Next time...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Next time...
    Will refuse to get the vaccine until I get the sticker.

Will report back in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Next time...
    LOL, you are not missing out on the sticker and face masks - but the pins were cute.. seems only given out by HKU staff who man the Ap Lei Chau centre, photo above..

This is the sticker and packet of government face masks.. I much prefer the pin, but seems only given at Ap Lei Chau..Anyone got the dark blue “protected” pin and want to trade it for my sticker and packet of masks is welcome to pm me..
    Last edited by hkgcat; 19-03-2021 at 09:48 AM.
    Coolboy and rainylin like this.

At the AP Lei Chau center and it is surprisingly busy but super efficient. Have about 30+ people ahead of me and quite a variety of local and expat young and old.

The holding area has 12x4 seats and all are occupied.

18 booths and all are operational

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    At the AP Lei Chau center and it is surprisingly busy but super efficient. Have about 30+ people ahead of me and quite a variety of local and expat young and old.

They got busier, then, compared with earlier this week.

I was at Ap Lei Chau, as I said, had an HKU staff vaccinate me. No pin. Let me try with the second dose, then the whole "protected" thing is more accurate.
    Coolboy likes this.

I only got the masks in Sheung Shui.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

Keep a chair warm for me, I'll be there at noon today.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast