Like Tree69Likes

Bloomberg article: More pieces on HK quarantine policies and the financial sector impact

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bloomberg article: More pieces on HK quarantine policies and the financial sector impact

Another article on the strict quarantine policies enacted by the government and the business viability for institutions if these quarantine policies maintain for the long term. Struggle to retain and attract talent according to bank executives and "frustrating" according to AmCham. Very inconvenient if critical staff, or even entire teams are lost if they are family members are tested positive or become close contacts. Quarantine facilities also lack wifi facilities to support remote work.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...gc090kmvPKxTMk

mrgoodkat and AsianXpat0 like this.

There is lots of concerned chatter about this in London banks - particularly the forced quarantine.

Original Post Deleted
    With consistent policy it's possible to have zero cases long term, look at the success stories of New Zealand, Australia and Taiwan. You can't have a 20 foot fence in the front while leaving the back door open. That seems to be the case right now 21 day quarantine and sent to quarantine center upon interaction with close contacts. Meanwhile there are tens of categories the government exempts and an open border with China. Lots of posturing but the substance falls apart when you take a close look
    AliT, Coolboy, AsianXpat0 and 1 others like this.

I don't think these banks get the long term plan. Squeezing HK of its money after being a bad boy during the protests. Get rid of as many expats as possible, already happening with English teachers and Journalists not getting their visa renew.

Keep importing more northern cousins and in the long run remove whatever cultural traits that hasn't been replaced by greed and mall culture.

calmathetic9, BCD and zerg8 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I don't think these banks get the long term plan. Squeezing HK of its money after being a bad boy during the protests. Get rid of as many expats as possible, already happening with English teachers and Journalists not getting their visa renew.

Keep importing more northern cousins and in the long run remove whatever cultural traits that hasn't been replaced by greed and mall culture.
    They do get it. The chatter is about how long they could keep current BAU with risk/annoyances > reward.

Regardless of whether those policies are warranted or not, they are not new and now all of a sudden because it affected a certain group of people, it becomes news as if their industry is more important than any others that have been affected in the past. Not a good look in my opinion...

calmathetic9 and RMDNC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Regardless of whether those policies are warranted or not, they are not new and now all of a sudden because it affected a certain group of people, it becomes news as if their industry is more important than any others that have been affected in the past. Not a good look in my opinion...
    That’s one way to look at it. Another one (my preferred one) is finally someone is speaking up against these draconian measures!

Well the message that I get is that those measures were not that bad when they affected others but we're just too good and too important to be subject to them.. A matter of perspective I guess. I have nothing against the fact that these policies are criticized but the timing of it is... let's say convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis:
    Well the message that I get is that those measures were not that bad when they affected others but we're just too good and too important to be subject to them.. A matter of perspective I guess. I have nothing against the fact that these policies are criticized but the timing of it is... let's say convenient.
    I’m not so sure they even considered others being quarantined, never mind themselves. A lot of people seem to have been oblivious to the risk of quarantine or the actual conditions of it. As much as I have tried to avoid Covid-19, I’ve mainly been concerned about getting hooked up in someone else’s cluster. There’s a lot of people here living a little bubble of privilege that makes them feel special and immune to the real world. I take no pleasure in seeing reality come crashing down on them. The sooner everyone is vaccinated, the better. I’d like life to be as normal as possible as soon as possible.
    GentleGeorge, Coolboy and Plutark like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    The sooner everyone is vaccinated, the better. I’d like life to be as normal as possible as soon as possible.
    +1 to that
    Coolboy, kittykaitak and bak875 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast