Like Tree46Likes

Hawkers are a problem but is fining / arresting them the answer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hawkers are a problem but is fining / arresting them the answer?

There has been a huge growth in the number of illegal and legal hawkers in the last 25 years.

Some streets are littered with telcoms 'legally' hawking their services on public land while others have the old and the frail sitting illegally at the kerbside selling a few worthless trinkets.

Today in SSP there were dozens of hawking patrol staff in a co-ordinated taskforce to clean-up the streets of the poor and elderly selling tat. From a quick observation most of the front line hawker staff aappeared compsnate and alllowed these people time to cover their wares.

What can be done to reduce the menace of hawking in HK??

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It's not as bad as all that is it? Can't you just avoid SSP?
    mokhi6, GlennBond, rs4 and 1 others like this.

OP should buy them out and set up a Complaint Department.

The thing that grinds my gears are the people openly selling fake brand name handbags and clothing on the foot bridge between IFC and World WideWide House

I dont see the problem with hawkers in HOng Kong;. It was and is the part of Hong Kong, its Hong Kong culture. And NO there is no growth of hawkers in the past 24 yrs. It is totally opposite. How long have you been in Hong Kong. If you think SSP of now is messy and dirty than you would not survive in Hong Kong before 2000. I am a 90s kid, and I remember few things in 2000 and 1997. It was a huge mess. One thing handover of Hong Kong did was to clean the street of Hong Kong albeit not the best but still quite commendable from the past. Even the wet markets are not 'wet' anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    It's not as bad as all that is it? Can't you just avoid SSP?
    Out of sight out of mind. Isn't that the current policy for most issues. Do look and you don't see?

Quote Originally Posted by mokhi6:
    I dont see the problem with hawkers in HOng Kong;. It was and is the part of Hong Kong, its Hong Kong culture. And NO there is no growth of hawkers in the past 24 yrs. It is totally opposite. How long have you been in Hong Kong. If you think SSP of now is messy and dirty than you would not survive in Hong Kong before 2000. I am a 90s kid, and I remember few things in 2000 and 1997. It was a huge mess. One thing handover of Hong Kong did was to clean the street of Hong Kong albeit not the best but still quite commendable from the past. Even the wet markets are not 'wet' anymore.
    It's very much a part of HK culture and dying. I remember people pushing covered carts away through Causeway Bay when the inspectors came around.
    mokhi6 and chuckster007 like this.

I dont see the problem with hawkers in HOng Kong;. It was and is the part of Hong Kong, its Hong Kong culture.
    Agreed

And NO there is no growth of hawkers in the past 24 yrs. It is totally opposite.
    There are far far more
    - old ladies and gentlemen hawking thngs now than there was 24 years ago
    - triple play telecoms companies hawking their services than there was 24 years ago

There are fewer
    - Mobile icecream hawkers
    - Boot blackers
    - Food stalls

Overall far more I would suggest.

I am a 90s kid, and I remember few things in 2000 and 1997. It was a huge mess. One thing handover of Hong Kong did was to clean the street of Hong Kong albeit not the best but still quite commendable from the past. Even the wet markets are not 'wet' anymore.
    Really? I can arrange a mid-morning chat with some veteran Hawking control officers if you would like to compare notes.
    mokhi6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    T

More importantly, what can be done to reduce the menace of melodrama in this post?
    shri, mysti, Skyhook and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    More importantly, what can be done to reduce the menace of melodrama in this post?
    Seeing a few old ladies seemingly arrested this morning with dozens of government officials looking glum carrying out activity that is not solving the problem felt a little melodramic and just shows endemic poor governance. Put a show of force of enforcement while not aknowledging let alone trying to solve the root causes.
    jayinhongkong and Sage like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast