Like Tree84Likes

Possible Cross Infection Case - Ramada TST

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    If the door hook/handle/food delivery method is at fault, we should be seeing cases from staff soon-ish with the testing orders?
    Presumably the staff are gloved and have ppe. Seen the staff at The Ovolo and they are pretty much suited up in hospital type garbs, masked and gloved.

Quarantine Hotel staff are tested every 7 days and Ramada staff have been retested and no positives found.
    hullexile and tura like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Media asking if Best Western hotels should be checked as many late detection cases have stayed in various sub-brands of Best Western.

- Not the door handle as suggested above. Seems like there is a hook on the door handle for hanging meals.
    - In TST hotel, there have been 10 cases at this Ramada TST hotel. Gene sequencing is being redone.
    - All residents who stayed on that floor from 19th March to April have been sent back to quarantine - 21 days
    - Not confirmed (no positive tests on hook swabs) just a suspected vector
    You've got to love filling the 3 weeks of quarantine (at your own expense), the relief at completing that and then being sent to a government facility through no fault of your own. I feel massively for the mental wellbeing of those impacted
    BCD, Elegiaque, merchantms and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If you crunch the numbers I think you will find the number of infections there would be in the hotels between an mRNA vaccine at 95% and the others at around 70% would not be that significant.

How long are they going to stay in the hotel? 1st dose, then wait at least two weeks, 2nd dose, then 2 weeks. And of course all that time they are open to infection.
    The Pfizer vaccine's efficacy is 50% after the 1st day and then it goes up to 80% until the second shot is due.
    East_coast and Mrs. Jones like this.

According to the presser there is a case, that arrived from Shenzhen and tested positive on the day 12 test, that is being treated as local transmission.

The Indian arrival is being treated as imported after almost a month. COVID in HK behaves truly magical

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If you crunch the numbers I think you will find the number of infections there would be in the hotels between an mRNA vaccine at 95% and the others at around 70% would not be that significant.

How long are they going to stay in the hotel? 1st dose, then wait at least two weeks, 2nd dose, then 2 weeks. And of course all that time they are open to infection.
    The Pfizer vaccine's efficacy is 50% after the 1st day and then it goes up to 80% until the second shot is due.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    They have ruled out aircon and piping...
    Really? In closed up rooms in close proximity, somehow it cannot be the aircon or airflow? And they're already 100% sure of this.
    blueagles likes this.

My simple understanding of hotel HVAC design is that the hallways have positive pressure with fresh outside air coming into the hallway. If there is a fire in a room etc the smoke will not immediately seep out into the hallway so the hallway is kept free of smoke in order for people to escape. This means that he rooms have slightly negative pressure and the hallway air provides the make up air for each rooms fan coil unit.
    So a person in hotel quarantine is infected has been coughing in their room all day. They open the door to retrieve their meal and maybe linger in the hall for a breath of fresh air and change of scenery.
    The air in the hallway could now have virus particles and due to the positive pressure in the hall this air could get sucked into another hotel unit along the same corridor. Three meals a day over 3 weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Really? In closed up rooms in close proximity, somehow it cannot be the aircon or airflow? And they're already 100% sure of this.
    Indeed, I believe this has also been the case in Australia and New Zealand quarantine hotels where improper ventilation was identified. This has some good information where aerosols play a major part in the spread

https://twitter.com/jljcolorado/stat...66908797059078

what about the extraction vents in the bathroom? When I was in hotel quarantine I taped up garbage bags over the ac and any vents. The bags were constantly bulging as if air was being sucked into the room.

Quote Originally Posted by BCD:
    My simple understanding of hotel HVAC design is that the hallways have positive pressure with fresh outside air coming into the hallway. If there is a fire in a room etc the smoke will not immediately seep out into the hallway so the hallway is kept free of smoke in order for people to escape. This means that he rooms have slightly negative pressure and the hallway air provides the make up air for each rooms fan coil unit.
    So a person in hotel quarantine is infected has been coughing in their room all day. They open the door to retrieve their meal and maybe linger in the hall for a breath of fresh air and change of scenery.
    The air in the hallway could now have virus particles and due to the positive pressure in the hall this air could get sucked into another hotel unit along the same corridor. Three meals a day over 3 weeks...
    We were always told put your mask on when opening the door and also anything beyond the line of your door was out of bounds and many of the hotels have CCTV. Now of course there are no guarantees that people do this 100 per cent of the time. For the aircon I was lucky. I arrived back in January and that was literally the first thing I did after dumping the cases. Luckily I had an opening window. That's clearly not possible for 90% of the hotels with no opening windows and obviously the climate has changed.