Like Tree65Likes

Property vacancy to reach all time high...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

This is all well and good but does anyone have a feel for the impact on rental markets for low to medium price bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    This is all well and good but does anyone have a feel for the impact on rental markets for low to medium price bracket?
    My guess, areas that mainland expats like will do well (I am thinking TKO and West Kowloon, any others?), Other areas that to well with expats (Midlevels, Taikoo etc) will do badly

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    My guess, areas that mainland expats like will do well (I am thinking TKO and West Kowloon, any others?), Other areas that to well with expats (Midlevels, Taikoo etc) will do badly
    You'd be surprised how much Mandarin we hear around the south side...

In Pok Fu Lam during the district council elections, there was one polling booth where Zimmerman did not do well. Guess where that was.
    Last edited by shri; 21-04-2021 at 04:31 PM.

The main reason rents are dropping is because residents (mostly local Hong Kong) are cutting back on expenditure. Sometimes this is forced sometimes this is voluntary. People moving to smaller places, or having more relatives living at home like parents or adult children. This is likely having a much bigger impact on housing demand than emigration.

My own personal case was when my lease was up for renewal in November. At the time I searched for somewhere cheaper - looking for the barest minimum that I would be comfortable with. I found somewhere 25% cheaper than my previous 2018 rent - a bit smaller but not cramped. With that available, I negotiated a reduction of 15% with my landlord and stayed where I was.

shri and AsianXpat0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    You'd be surprised how much Mandarin we here around the south side...

In Pok Fu Lam during the district council elections, there was one polling booth where Zimmerman did not do well. Guess where that was.
    Cyberport?
    shri likes this.

It is easier to leave HK than come in these days. The real gauge is when the travel restrictions are lifted.

Sage likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It is my anecdotal observations

I would guess it is because mainland expats generally put a premium on new builds and lower rents, where western expats put a premium on short commutes and proximity to 'watering holes'...
    SonicYouth1 likes this.