Like Tree1011Likes

Who is leaving Hong Kong? - Anecdotal evidence

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Australia has always been known as the "lucky country", and now with a pandemic crippling the world, ths is still the case now even more than ever. The standard of living actually INCREASED at a faster rate during 2020 than at any other time in the last decade. Despite lockdowns, unemployment is comfortably low and going down. Property prices are skyrocketing, but still the most expensive markets of Sydney and Melbourne are half the prices of HK for double the house size, and there are thousands of cities, regional centres, country towns you can live in very cheap outside these two most expensive markets.

Despite China's sanctions and attack on Australian exports, our total global exports go up and the prices of everything we export keeps going up and up!!

Basically as more and more shit happens around the world, it just has the opposite effect down under . Experts are baffled by this, and predicted a pandemic would have dire consequences on the economy and way of life. But it's just totally the opposite.

But sorry you can't move here, even if you are Australian. Borders are closed.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-deloitte-says

Skyhook, Coolboy, Jaz Paul and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    J
    - Amsterdam overtaking London has Europe's largest sharetrading centre
    etc
    ]
    The Amsterdam Euronext cash and futures market are actually operated out of Basildon in the UK.
    The old Amsterdam Stock Exchange Beursplien 5, is like a co-working space where you can rent space for your traders...

I know about 12 families leaving, nearly all to the UK... I know very few people that are comited to HK. I think most people I know would pack if they could get a solid continuation of work etc.
    KEM.UK, Mcdavid and Mrs. Jones like this.

Families I know...in the past year one moved to UK, three to US, one to Indonesia, four to Canada, one to Australia, two to Singapore. Two more will go to Singapore in the next six months.

Half are local, HK born and bred. Two of them still have businesses in HK that they'll keep running remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I'm not talking about the competence of the UK government re Covid. I'm referring to the policing bill, cronyism and contracts, the breakdown in Northern Ireland, the impact of Brexit on the City, etc. etc.

Yes the UK will open up faster than HK, but the long term impacts of Covid on the UK's finances will be felt much longer. HK is in Asia, a growing region, the UK is in Europe which is contracting, plus it recently chose to go through with the immense act of self-harm that was Brexit.
    100% accurate. Asia on the other hand has no problems with policing or cronyism. Protests and instability only exist when evil foreign governments get involved, and they've been exposed and expelled. The Chinese government has been working hard to build up its relationships with the rest of the world and has garnered near universal respect in the west. Companies feel confident with the way the country is going no talent is relocating. It's highly unlikely we'll see much decoupling in the coming years. Covid hurt the economy (which still grew some luckily), but now China and Asia in general is taking risks to really open and grow their economy.

In short, China's stability, reputation, good leadership, and current plan will undoubtedly make Asia continue to be the growth center of the next century. It's impossible to consider they could throw any of it away due to aggression or ego
    Corrib, AsianXpat0, tf19 and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    I'm staying for now. No kids, low tax, high salary. Am saving a lot more than when i was working in London (as a % of my gross pay).
    I have already left. Pay in HK is shit so it's meaningless to stay.
    Last edited by Michael Tsang; 22-04-2021 at 01:14 AM.

Here at work, two expats have left to return to their home countries. In the past six months, six BNO passport-holders have relocated to the UK (some single and some with kids) and I'm sure there will be more. The majority of the locals who have left are our IT professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    The majority of the locals who have left are our IT professionals.
    Oh god.

If there is one thing Hong Kong does not need, it is even worse IT systems.

Is @Tandy a CCP shill? China is getting it's "influence" by the medium of "conditional" loans or downright intimidation, especially in Africa. When your piratical fishing fleet is being shelled and sunk in South America that's not leadership. The same goes re not being friendly to your neighbours by the activities in the South l China Sea. Oh, and by now pushing the buttons of Duterte only months after being all kissy kissy.

To continue, China is a volcano of hidden debt, fuelled by domestic spending not trade. It won't implode tomorrow but it will implode soon enough which is probably the reason behind the recent rise in defence spending and major local sabre rattling. So colour me skeptical by the comments this guy makes.

Cheeky Kiwi and Coolboy like this.

@David4Maths - I suspect that post is a case of glass half filled with sarcasm or half filled with 50 cents?

mrgoodkat, Mcdavid and spode like this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast