Like Tree133Likes

No Singapore Travel Bubble....

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Why are you still pretending time and again the HK government has any say in the matter? Border policy, as with anything, is now being decided by Beijing and Carrie Lam will read from the provided script whenever there would be any changes in the matter, as she does with all else.
    I can see you have been trying to avid my comment . If you make these kind of wild and often strangely optimistic claims about Hong Kong as if it is 2001 instead of 2021, I think it's only normal people will ask you for further clarification.

This seems relevant as well to any travel corridor plans, as it looks Sinovac will be excluded:

https://twitter.com/SebbyTong/status...87990346461185

emx and jimbo_jones like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I have never seen you explain on what basis you think HK government is suddenly calling the shots instead of Beijing, hence my comment. Enjoy your holiday!

Loosely related to Singapore and the travel bubble...see the footnote
    Name:  IMG-20210707-WA0008.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  137.1 KB

Edit: yes, the infographic is comparing apples to oranges, and really, really confusing

Original Post Deleted
    The thing that makes your argument invalid is that there are significantly fewer cases in HK than there are in neighbouring provinces in the past few months if you're comparing like-for-like. There are no reasons for China not to open borders to HK other than political considerations.

The fact that HK has practically zero cases without resorting to the all of the same drastic measures taken in the mainland is politically problematic.
    Gatts likes this.

I think this is exactly one of the issues.
    Singapore is reopening with the World, why would they spend so much energy and time in reopening with Hong Kong?
    I would suggest your comment is misleading, since the framework has already been negotiated to completion, postponed, reviewed and revised at least twice. Now it is HK that is having second thoughts, so why would it be SG lacking “energy and time” reopening to HK rather than a lack of realism on HK’s part?

I do not want to engage too much in discussions, specially around politics - A bit because it is not my style[...]
    That would have been fair enough if you didn’t originally feign neutrality, before repeatedly placing the blame on “yellows” for what essentially are government decisions, which was doubly misplaced because low vaccination rates are arguably more a result of poor policy than the other way around, and in any event, it’s the older bluish crowd where vaccinations are lagging and Macau showed similar vaccination rates.

Speaking of Macau.

But there are certain aspects where I think the Government has more freedom than what a lot of people think - and I feel that border control is one of them
    https://twitter.com/TMclaughlin3/sta...18618840064007

I can’t verify this take, not being able to read Portuguese, but running it through Google Translate, it sounds roughly about right.

Now I don’t think you set out deliberately to be intellectually dishonest, and your views have indeed slowly evolved, but if the “based on info you’ve received” just means analysing the public information available to everyone, while trying to blame groups reflected more in anecdote than data, then maybe it’s fair to say that analysis hasn’t been that solid or forward thinking. I’ve certainly been guilty of many mistakes of my own in other cases, but flaunting your bias is a strange way of glossing over the lack of factual interpretation and trying to tar people making decisions differently.

Anyway it might be dawning on more people since today’s non-relaxation of measures is the first SCMP article I’ve seen for months without commenters mindlessly screaming “Get vaccinated” instead of “rethink policy”.

Please enjoy your holiday.
    Gatts likes this.

https://twitter.com/TMclaughlin3/sta...67016313327617

Pity those who bought tickets in hope or expectation.

Pity for what? flights and tickets can be cancelled for free ….

Told you.
    TheBrit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8