Like Tree145Likes

Expats, Protests and Vaccines...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    (Cross posting)

Very annoying to read those anti expats tweets... but I can understand where they come from. For many locals it must be equally annoying to see expats happily pose and tweet “thank you HK!”: it must feel like a carefree and nonchalant endorsement of the very government that took everything from them (from us too, but we can leave. And that makes all the difference. Hence the not well-thought-out wording on many tweets whose aim was to convince Hongkongers to get vaccinated).

Also, most tweets focus on the smooth process, “in and out in 20 minutes!”. It’s a vaccine not a Fast and Furious movie, it would be more efficient to offer some convincing motivation to vaccinate rather than stating over and over how it doesn’t ruin your day. I doubt that’s what keeps people from vaccinating... especially in HK where waiting lines seem to be popular.

So I can see why those vaccine selfies tweets may be not be really useful, at best, or downright annoying at worst.

(FYI I am vaccinated. Like you, I am also very disappointed that the majority of the population is not. I don’t think resisting the government is a good rational motivation to resisting vaccines handed out by that government)
    (Cross post response)

Most expat focused social media is full of near constant complaints about the government regarding schools and quarantine. These yellow movement people haven’t stood up for HK’s schoolchildren or people being sent to Penny Bay from what I’ve seen. So yeah let’s not get at expats for promoting the vaccine as a way of helping the world - not the HK government specifically - get out of the Covid mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiga:
    One is demonstrating in a belief. The other is fighting against a pandemic/for medical reasons.

The 'yellow' groups are really something sometimes. Like a stubborn child.
    There is no Martin Luther King or Lech Walesa among this gang.
    mich14, tf19 and chingleutsch like this.

I'm not going to get into the politics - but I do object to "most expats are GUESTS" rhetoric. Some people may consider themselves that way, but making it a near-blanket thing is a prescription for discrimination...

shri, aw451 and hike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    (Cross post response)
    These yellow movement people haven’t stood up for HK’s schoolchildren or people being sent to Penny Bay from what I’ve seen.
    Not sure quarantine camp or schoolchildren are comparable to the injustices many are facing in HK.

Just the other day I read about how there are these guys locked up since February on NSL charges waiting for a court date while their case is still being investigated, wtf.

Essentially what the guys did was run a informal poll on who should stand up for election (which subsequently was cancelled).

21 days in quarantine camp is not really comparable with potentially years in prison for essentially bogus charges.
    Mefisto and FrancisX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The whole twitter thing is a masturbatory shit show. I've stopped following a bunch of folks because I really do not care about everyones jab.
    Incidentally its not just expats, I haven't counted seems to be just as many locals posting on twitter, I still think it works because it provides/demonstrates social proof

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    Not sure quarantine camp or schoolchildren are comparable to the injustices many are facing in HK.

Just the other day I read about how there are these guys locked up since February on NSL charges waiting for a court date while their case is still being investigated, wtf.

Essentially what the guys did was run a informal poll on who should stand up for election (which subsequently was cancelled).

21 days in quarantine camp is not really comparable with potentially years in prison for essentially bogus charges.
    But they have time to complain about expats vaccine selfies and blacklist restaurants who are using LHS app.

My point is that different groups have different primary complaints about the government’s heavyhandedness. Creating false divisions between people based on their race or passport status is not going to help their cause.
    hike and mich14 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    But they have time to complain about expats vaccine selfies and blacklist restaurants who are using LHS app.

My point is that different groups have different primary complaints about the government’s heavyhandedness. Creating false divisions between people based on their race or passport status is not going to help their cause.
    There are also different subdivisions within the yellow camp. The people who ran the primaries and ended up imprisoned are probably not the same people complaining about expats getting vaccinated.

There are so many factions with the only real commonality of wanting democracy.
    merchantms and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    but I do object to "most expats are GUESTS" rhetoric. Some people may consider themselves that way, but making it a near-blanket thing is a prescription for discrimination...
    Regardless how long you have been here or even if you were born here, to the locals if you are a different colour you are still a GUEST and if you dont like what they are selling they will tell you to fuck of back to your own country.

Discrimination HK = YES
    shri, hike, alexdown and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Regardless how long you have been here or even if you were born here, to the locals if you are a different colour you are still a GUEST and if you dont like what they are selling they will tell you to fuck of back to your own country.

Discrimination HK = YES
    I have noticed silence from the protest movement on the treatment of ethnic minorities here. And there was a big to do about an attempted BLM rally where people I know who tried to organize it felt very shoved aside by the democracy protesters who basically acted like gatekeepers.

So maybe there’s a reason expats/foreigners/however we label them don’t en masse support them.
    shri, tf19, hike and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I do agree on this, and it's another example of why societies largely get the leaders they deserve, including HK.

However it is possible for vastly different governments to more or less equally represent the same society - i.e. Obama and Trump.

Upon realising that Trump is less than but still measurably as similarly representative of the US psyche as Obama was, should it not be lauded that they affect change and move closer to the former's values?

Is that not what has happened in HK, only to be snatched away by the regime?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast