Like Tree30Likes

Vacancies at international schools

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I wonder if the vaunted CIS has even had departures...

Another factor for older years is boarding school. Seems a lot of families are preferring to send kids abroad - both expats and locals.

shri and mrgoodkat like this.

They need to leave here for those final years to learn freedom of thought.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Another factor for older years is boarding school. Seems a lot of families are preferring to send kids abroad - both expats and locals.
    Interestingly found this article while browsing a local website:

Even Google Translate is able to pick up the issue - many local students are transferring out. I suspect with job losses and all sorts of risk mitigation that is going on in the expat and middle+ class local communities - there will be vacancies.

Dean Chen Di'an said that the school had also dropped out of students due to immigration and overseas studies, but transfer students have already filled up their places, so the impact is not significant. He pointed out that the dropout situation in some schools is very serious. "I once heard a principal say that he received six withdrawal letters within a week." However, starting in recent months, he has also received about one withdrawal letter every week. " Compared with the number of students in the same period last year, this year has dropped by 15 students.”
    Will spend some time this weekend to draft a letter to Sec Education / EDB and OGCIO to request that they ask the international / private schools to provide timely and transparent data on vacancies ( https://data.gov.hk/en-datasets/cate...cation?noembed )

https://std.stheadline.com/realtime/...BF%80%E5%A2%9E
    Beanieskis and Mcdavid like this.

I always thought there were more kids from mainland going to international schools now rather than expats these days..

Quote Originally Posted by mysti:
    I always thought there were more kids from mainland going to international schools now rather than expats these days..
    2019, 2020 and 2021 happened...
    merchantms, mysti and Edwardstorm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Everyone I know who applied for a place at CDNIS, FIS, HKIS this year got accepted, and not only at the main entry years. Whereas two years ago I knew a lot of kids who didn't get their top choice schools. If you have a foreign passport there is a lot more availability than in the past for obvious reasons. Few expats moving into HK to replace the ones who are leaving.
    Heard the same for ESF even.

Bringing up this dead thread to see if anyone has any insights on the latest on the education sector? Are vacancies up in this international schools?

What do you guys think? Did you hear anything?

We’ve recently had a choice of DBIS or Discovery College where both had waiting lists not so long ago.

shri and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    We’ve recently had a choice of DBIS or Discovery College where both had waiting lists not so long ago.
    Thanks for sharing! Yes I heard many expats have left discovery bay (its been a hot spot for all expats). That totally makes sense. I just wonder for HK island international schools if its a similar pattern

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast