Like Tree30Likes

Vacancies at international schools

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,854
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    2019, 2020 and 2021 happened...
    Depressingly add 2022 and probably 2023 to that list to keep it up to date
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Depressingly add 2022 and probably 2023 to that list to keep it up to date
    I think things might be about to change re school availability. I have friends who last year got their children in to Kellett (to start this year) at Reception and I think year 1, having made a fairly late application. Previously you had no chance of a place in Reception unless you applied at birth. However, last week Kellett KLB held an open day and reportedly over 600 families attended... Applications are up again. There may well be many local families looking to move to the international school sector too, but plenty of these families were expats. I think the most popular international schools will have full waiting lists again. DB is probably going to lag in terms of recovery I think, as it's such an expat / short-term contract / aviation sector place.
    shri, hullexile and 7jai like this.

  3. #23

    friends son just got into South Island. Secondary 2. offered a place for Dec or Jan. Applied in Sept.


  4. #24

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    340

    This is what I was seeing as well. Seems like the demand is picking up. I keep hearing everyone is leaving which may be true, but seems like there are now more opportunities for others to apply or take their place in HK.

    Well I guess I will be up with stiff competition again . Was hoping to avoid this expecting less competition and more vacancies.


  5. #25

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    This is what I was seeing as well. Seems like the demand is picking up. I keep hearing everyone is leaving which may be true, but seems like there are now more opportunities for others to apply or take their place in HK.

    Well I guess I will be up with stiff competition again . Was hoping to avoid this expecting less competition and more vacancies.
    I guess it depends on multiple factors - where you're applying, age of your children, when you applied, your passport and how the assessment is done.

    My son is in the entry year of one of the schools mentioned in your OP and I know there is a waiting list for his year, but that the people at the top of the wait list only applied earlier in 2022. He gets the bus to school, and it's gone from being about 50% full at the start of term to full now. I'm guessing that is due to families returning to HK after an extended absence, or possibly moving out to Clear Water Bay recently (signing a new lease showing commitment to HK). I know the latter is the case for at least a few of the kids on the bus.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    I guess it depends on multiple factors - where you're applying, age of your children, when you applied, your passport and how the assessment is done.

    My son is in the entry year of one of the schools mentioned in your OP and I know there is a waiting list for his year, but that the people at the top of the wait list only applied earlier in 2022. He gets the bus to school, and it's gone from being about 50% full at the start of term to full now. I'm guessing that is due to families returning to HK after an extended absence, or possibly moving out to Clear Water Bay recently (signing a new lease showing commitment to HK). I know the latter is the case for at least a few of the kids on the bus.
    Around my network circle, I also see the demand for international schools picking up naturally. I also know that many local families are now trying for international schools. But I am seeing more and more new expats coming to HK (many who have dual nationalities and are coming back to HK to earn money as earning potential is higher for their fields of work, along with lower tax). I recently met a few who said they always wanted to return back after the COVID restrictions loosen more and there is no need for quarantine hotels.

Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3