Like Tree30Likes

Vacancies at international schools

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vacancies at international schools

Hello,

I’m curious if you’ve heard of vacancies at international schools due to departing families in primary (HKIS, CIS, Kellett, FIS, etc). I feel the admissions departments aren’t really up front and want people to believe demand is very high.

Thank you

Believe what you want to believe

Everyone I know who applied for a place at CDNIS, FIS, HKIS this year got accepted, and not only at the main entry years. Whereas two years ago I knew a lot of kids who didn't get their top choice schools. If you have a foreign passport there is a lot more availability than in the past for obvious reasons. Few expats moving into HK to replace the ones who are leaving.

mrgoodkat, Mcdavid and Mrs. Jones like this.

That’s really good to know, thank you!

I spoke to local people who work in the admissions offices. My experience has been that the locals don’t like to “lose face” and admit that schools are losing students so they keep up with the “places are in high demand” rhetoric.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ARWKS:
    That’s really good to know, thank you!

I spoke to local people who work in the admissions offices. My experience has been that the locals don’t like to “lose face” and admit that schools are losing students so they keep up with the “places are in high demand” rhetoric.
    Think it's more financial than related to saving face. They don't want to cut the price to fill the places.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Think it's more financial than related to saving face. They don't want to cut the price to fill the places.
    I agree - paying multiple "admissions" tests fees etc ... its a game these schools play well.

Let me write a letter to EDB and encourage them to force schools to publish vacancy data under the govt Open Data initiatives.

Don’t get me started with GSIS!

I gather there are plenty of places in the two DBay schools. There will be even more when Cathay lay off more pilots. They keep up the pretence so that they can continue to charge their ridiculous non refundable debentures.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary 2:
    I gather there are plenty of places in the two DBay schools. There will be even more when Cathay lay off more pilots. They keep up the pretence so that they can continue to charge their ridiculous non refundable debentures.
    Sounds like a far cry from when I lived in Discovery Bay in 2008, couldn't get into either school and kept going backwards on the waiting lists. In the end I moved to Kowloon in 2009 and got into the Australian school.

DBIS has a $60,000 non refundable debenture. Australian school has a $120,000 depreciating debenture that depreciates 12.5% per year and then if you stay at the school longer than 8 years, BAM!! you have to fork out another $120k that depreciates 12.5% per year again. They don't make it easy, need a bloody finance degree to understand how their fee structure works.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

It's variable with vacancies in some year groups but not in others. Some schools have over-filled in some age groups in anticipation of having fewer in others, but as they need to keep a balance they will always accept in the groups they need. In other words, it isn't straightforward. There are vacancies even though overall numbers are fairly steady - being over 100% full with vacancies is counter intuitive but common and potentially means prospective families getting mixed messages from admissions departments.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast