Like Tree156Likes

Top officer in Hong Kong police national security unit caught in unlicensed massage parlour

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    The simplest explanation is that he considered himself indispensable and was setup.

BUT... the guy was in "intelligence" operations. You'd have thought he would have had a clue about how setups work and reformed his "local cop" habits.
    timonoj likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The simplest explanation is that he considered himself indispensable and was setup.

BUT... the guy was in "intelligence" operations. You'd have thought he would have had a clue about how setups work and reformed his "local cop" habits.
    Top officials in HK think they arent being monitored by big brother because they are very "loyal" haha.

This incident feels like a lesson/reminder for him and other gov officials.

The fact he's had training overseas instantly puts him on a list. Was he passing on Intel? Only time will tell.

Some habits die hard I guess. He let his peni...eh...I mean, his "waist" do his thinking instead of his head. That may have been his longstanding weakness all along that the CCP was ready to exploit. Now add in something he did to piss off his superiors and bingo.

He deals with sensitive info...maybe he was contemplating to flee to some Western country with those valuable info and had to be reminded of who can squeeze his balls if he ever did that.

Yep. If this was a genuine raid and he was completely unexpectedly caught up you can bet your bottom dollar a nudge and a word would mean he would be home having dinner an hour afterwards. It isn't as if he even committed a crime.

The simplest explanation is he didn't think he was at risk, or as you say he felt untouchable. I doubt the latter though, if Jack Ma has be dissappeared for a few months it's pretty clear nobody except Winnie the Pooh is untouchable in China.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yep. If this was a genuine raid and he was completely unexpectedly caught up you can bet your bottom dollar a nudge and a word would mean he would be home having dinner an hour afterwards. It isn't as if he even committed a crime.

The simplest explanation is he didn't think he was at risk, or as you say he felt untouchable. I doubt the latter though, if Jack Ma has be dissappeared for a few months it's pretty clear nobody except Winnie the Pooh is untouchable in China.
    What happens to normal citizens/customers caught up in these raids? They havent committed a crime but are subject to arrests? Are there any fines?

Under what reason is a customer arrested. It is no different than arresting in a Uber customer?

Some of you lot don't seem to be aware that some professions have ethical standards that their members must uphold. Certain behaviours, even if it's not illegal in the strict sense, is banned in the profession if it brings their members and their profession into disrepute. Transgressions of these standards can have consequences (i.e. suspension of license to practice for lawyers and doctors, disciplinary hearings for uniformed service, the result can include being expelled from the service).

TSTPaul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Some of you lot don't seem to be aware that some professions have ethical standards that their members must uphold. Certain behaviours, even if it's not illegal in the strict sense, is banned in the profession if it brings their members and their profession into disrepute. Transgressions of these standards can have consequences (i.e. suspension of license to practice for lawyers and doctors, disciplinary hearings for uniformed service, the result can include being expelled from the service).
    Some of us didn't get too many chances of seeing those ethical standards being specially enforced in the last few years...so I guess some healthy dose of skepticism is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    What happens to normal citizens/customers caught up in these raids?
    According to most news reports, nothing. They just take down your details and tell you to fuck off.

Quote Originally Posted by timonoj:
    Some of us didn't get too many chances of seeing those ethical standards being specially enforced in the last few years...so I guess some large amount of skepticism is to be expected.
    For the police...maybe. But for other professions...you can look to the Medical Council disciplinary tribunal or the Solicitor disciplinary tribunals. The process can be long drawn out and imperfect, but people are punished if they are found to be at fault. As for the police, yes, you can debate whether those standards have been applied fairly of late, if at all. But you can bet it most likely will be applied in this particular case. It's a useful "tool" for the authorities now, isn't it? This case won't be publicize if this fellow will get off scot-free, right?
    Last edited by Coolboy; 12-05-2021 at 12:29 PM.
    aw451 likes this.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast