Like Tree27Likes

Would you study medicine in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Haven't doctors been advocating for a clinical basis for allowing doctors to practice but the government just want a list of Unis / teaching hospitals they would approve. The former is aimed at keeping standards high. The latter is possibly aimed at integration within the GBA. I think the doctors are rightly worried that standards may drop.
    hongkong7 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I am only pointing to a very real possibility here in this new political climate in HK. Everyone must obey the new political demands, professional competence can take a backseat.

Not sure where you conjure up the "discriminate names" nonsense from. It is a fact HKers have low confidence in the mainland medical system. It is a fact HKers do not have a reliable grasp of the professional quality (or lack thereof) of mainland doctors. You can't wish that away.
    hongkong7 likes this.

If I was a local and hell bent on staying a local, I would. Else, not a chance. Also, if I wasn’t smart enough to get in on my own merits in my own country AND I was given a slot in HK, I may be interested.

Original Post Deleted
    You do realize driving a bus is a bit different to doing heart surgery, right?
    hongkong7 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm afraid you don't quite understand how medical liability and professional duty of care works.

You can have a list of approved medical schools but you would still need to assess each doctor on a case by case basis. You can't just endorse all graduates of an institution. I've met some real turds from Li Ka Shing medical school.

hongkong7 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Taking an argument to an extreme does not mean it is a better argument. HK has very high standards for doctors. Perhaps this should be sacrificed for faster assimilation.

a simple search shows HKU as consistently in the top 3 medical schools in Asia and 26th in the world

Coolboy and hongkong7 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    This feels like whataboutism......

Are you suggesting there is more ethical issues in the health care industry in HK than say China

https://www.businessinsider.com/heal...doctors-2014-5

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journ...270F861360D3B8
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The closed shop mentality is a problem I agree. But there is also another issue related to that, the local HK doctors' fear of a flood of mainland doctors to HK. Not simply out of fear of the greater competition, but also the impact it may have on the quality and standard of HK healthcare as a whole.

We simply don't know the professional competence of mainland doctors. Sure, some are certainly good or at least up to standard, but many others are very far from competent. It's well known that some mainland doctors have questionable ethics and over-charge their patients or give them medicine they don't need, for example.

So think about it, if they open the door to foreign trained doctors, sooner or later, they will have to do the same and open the floodgates of mainland doctors to HK. I mean, its politically unacceptable to permit Western trained doctors to HK but not those from the great motherland, right?

So this lack of confidence or faith in the mainland medical system is an issue that looms behind-the-scenes.
    “ It's well known that some mainland doctors have questionable ethics and over-charge their patients or give them medicine they don't need, for example.”

It seems they are not the only ones with an ethics problem. Do you suffer from an over idealized view
    of the western world ?
    You will find the same amount ( “ some”) of Western doctors ( or pharmacists) trying to milk patients in Western industrialized nations.

https://amp.dw.com/en/cancer-drug-sc...eds/a-44558514