Like Tree109Likes

Google, Facebook etc and HK's Proposed Data Laws...

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    The question is, at what point will these big multinationals decide enough is enough.
    There will be no single issue that tips a business over the edge. Gradually less will be done in HK and eventually businesses will no longer need a presence here. The company I work for stopped putting regional contracts under HK law 3-4 years ago. We still have an office in HK but now use a legal team in Singapore.
    Sith and Gatts like this.

Yes, but that's assuming those companies split their China operation from their Asia-Pacific operations. Not all foreign companies with a presence in HK make that distinction.
    If they don’t already they will have to. I mean serving China within China with their restrictions can be done but to serve other countries, without those restrictions, within China’s restrictions is going to be a pain the ass.
    Just think of money and contracts. You have no freedom of movement of capital in China and you don’t want to sign a contract for another country with the Chinese law in place. And then you have also the restrictions of information (Google or using Social Media for promotions).
    A person could avoid those with a VPN but it’s illegal so a company would not want to break the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    There will be no single issue that tips a business over the edge. Gradually less will be done in HK and eventually businesses will no longer need a presence here. The company I work for stopped putting regional contracts under HK law 3-4 years ago. We still have an office in HK but now use a legal team in Singapore.
    Maybe. Buy even if it is a more gradual decline, at some point, the trend will become noticeable. What will the authorities say then I wonder?

Maybe. Buy even if it is a more gradual decline, at some point, the trend will become noticeable. What will the authorities say then I wonder?
    Hong Kong should look to the GBA for growth...

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8