Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hereinhk

Projection for visitors when Covid abates.

Closed Thread

Projection for visitors when Covid abates.

Not thinking about numbers of visitors but rather how often might a USA visitor be permitted to come and go across the border. Not so many years ago i could enter HK as a visitor, stay 90 days, exit for one day and return for 90 more. I did this same thing for 4 years and heard of others doing same for 8 years.

Once the Covid situation is settled it's possible that the new NSL may prohibit such casual visitors. Sure, enter once, stay 90 days, and be gone for one year may be the new norm.

Any ideas or speculations about a continuation of the old visitation permissions? I understand that i might not be able to enter HK for 2 more years due to Covid.

My early guess is that 'reciprocity' will be the new normal....? so if the US requires chinese visitors to apply and obtain visas to enable entry, China (and therefore HK, Macau etc) will require the same back. I wouldnt bet on a reversion to status quo ante.

I have a feeling this will be left alone until 2047. There is no real advantage of changing these rules for China. They can already refuse entry to people they don't want to come in.

They still want to keep up the facade that HK has autonomy so this will be one of those things they let go.

According to the new rules, Australians and NZers can now come as non-residents so it will be interesting to see if any take advantage of this. I'm assuming as other countries get their covid situations under control they will be added to this list.

Quote Originally Posted by donkeywonkey:
    According to the new rules, Australians and NZers can now come as non-residents so it will be interesting to see if any take advantage of this.
    Unlikely for Australians given the North Korea style exit visa system currently in place. For those unaware, Australia has banned their own citizens from leaving the country since March last year, even those that are fully vaccinated, and apparently from the below case, even those that don't wish to return.

10,000 exit requests were refused in June alone...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...ntly/100274870

https://apnews.com/article/asia-paci...93ec67d1b6cce2
    Blowfish likes this.