Like Tree146Likes

2021 HK Olympics Team News (1 Gold, 2 Silver, 3 Bronze)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Such a good match, I’ve just rewatched it with my kids. Having lived all their life here, they genuinely didn’t know who to root for, the Italian or the Hongkonger. That was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Sports victory is one of those rare occasions where the whole city can unite around a cause. Doesn't matter whether you are pro-establishment or pro-Democrat, blue or yellow. They all root for the victory of HK's athletes. That is the power of sports.

Which is why I wanted to talk more about Cheung's background, but apparently for some reason, that is not allowed.
    This video clip left out the part where people started booing when the PRC anthem was being played during the medal ceremony. The "we are HK" chants started after the boos.

At lunch today at the local diner all eyes were on the TVB screen for women's fencing!

Cheeky Kiwi and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt30:
    This video clip left out the part where people started booing when the PRC anthem was being played during the medal ceremony. The "we are HK" chants started after the boos.
    Nice to know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Baklava:
    Such a good match, I’ve just rewatched it with my kids. Having lived all their life here, they genuinely didn’t know who to root for, the Italian or the Hongkonger. That was funny.
    I think that's because major sports victory, whether we are talking about team or individual sports, is so rare in HK. Locals simply aren't accustomed to watching athletes representing them be in a position to win a major tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Her Wikipedia entry is impressive:

"Based on guidance by her coach, Gao Kaiwen, Diaz initially went to train in Malaysia in February 2020 because Gao thought it would be better for her as she focused on qualifying for Tokyo. However, once Malaysia implemented its Movement Control Order in April 2020, which closed gyms within the capital region of Kuala Lumpur (Klang Valley), she improvised by using bamboo sticks and large water bottles as makeshift weightlifting equipment. In October 2020, she relocated to the southern coastal state of Malacca where they have been living in a house owned by a Malaysian weightlifting official in Jasin. However, the Malaysian government later implemented periodic restrictions on gyms and sporting activities within 2021 (to reduce social interaction and contain the spread of the coronavirus), forcing her to work out in the house's sweltering open-air carport in the immediate months prior to the 2020 Summer Olympics."
    Her's is still an amazing story but when I first read it I thought she was unfunded using family support or something.

She was enlisted and made a sergeant in the army so she could get the salary from that plus an allowance from the POC plus a donation of a couple of million from Senator Go (which really means Duterte). So not enough when looking at training and living abroad but not begging like Eddie the Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Her's is still an amazing story but when I first read it I thought she was unfunded using family support or something.

She was enlisted and made a sergeant in the army so she could get the salary from that plus an allowance from the POC plus a donation of a couple of million from Senator Go (which really means Duterte). So not enough when looking at training and living abroad but not begging like Eddie the Eagle.
    Yep, I did read the stuff about being enlisted in the air force, which looked like some kind of unofficial state support.

But watching the video of her workout area was a far cry from what any first world nation (or any hyper competitive large nation) would have set up. It's not like weightlifting needs million dollar training facilities, but air conditioning would be kind of de rigueur!

Also, the level of analysis and feedback from any moneyed-up nation would be on an entirely different level to what she would have had access to.

Over the winter with the covid closures, a couple of friends and I set up an outdoor gym in HK, and we were all too weak to keep using it once it started getting hot. I cannot imagine how hard it would have been to consistently train for top level performance in a Malaysian summer (or even top level training anywhere, tbh!)

COME ON SIOBHY

SILVER!

Elegiaque and MatthieuTofu like this.

And we have a silver ...

It's a remarkable achievement for Haughey, who is the first Hongkonger ever to reach an Olympic swimming final. Canada's Penny Oleksiak took the bronze.

The 23-year-old ace is expected to be back in action tonight as part of the Hong Kong team in the women's 200m freestyle relay and the 100m heats. She's also got the 50m freestyle individual event to come, as well as the medley relay.
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...abChangeable=0

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast