Like Tree90Likes

HK Vs The World

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    If you were a practical type brought up in a conventional world where domestic chores like washing your own car, mowing your front lawn on the weekend, cooking majority of your own meals and taking lunch to work etc HK generally isn't convenient in a conventional sense. It's more of an artificial limitation of what you can and can't do. Which the property developers love.
    This is so true and probably explains why I have increasingly struggled to adapt in HK as the years go by.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    I thought the original post was a bit of Sunday morning comedy, I mean taking a shit and SK stadium as a pointer to HK vs life elsewhere and somehow that shows how those leaving are wrong.

Those who we know who are leaving are well aware of the differences. They are aware of the pros and cons and there are plenty of both. When we look at our local friends who are leaving most are well off. Most have kids. Many were educated abroad. Despite the propaganda behind people reasons to leave (and it is propaganda) these are not people fleeing possible prosecution. These are not poor people leaving for some sunny economic uplands. They are people who see, for themselves and their kids, a bigger houses, decent schools, etc. For clients of mine who are leaving, again they are rich people.

HK does have low tax. It is safe although many non locals are acutely non aware of the actual crime that does go on here. It does have good affordable public transport. But it is also expensive. Housing. Schools. Food. There is a lack of space. There may be facilities such as the stadium but they’re needed due to a lack of space. Places like the UK give them that even with the mass f-up that is Brexit that has achieved sweet FA.

If you don’t have kids you’ll be in the “I’m all right Jack” mindset. If you do then it changes everything.
    Great post.

I'd think you're correct. People emigrating are thinking about the future their kids will have in a place that will undoubtedly be communist dictatorship in 20 years. If it isn't already. I admire the people leaving. It can't be easy. Historically Hongkongers have always been brave to pack up to find a better life somewhere else.
    TheBrit likes this.

You guys better cross Australia off your list of suitable migration destinations. We have redbacks hiding under the toilet seats here.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37481251

It really depends on what is important for the person.

For me, I love the convenience in Hong Kong and I live in one of the busiest districts in the city. However, there are many people who live in NT, DB, Lantau who probably don't think the convenience is worth the negatives.

Same as the people moving to UK, US, vs HK. There are many things in HK better than US or UK. But personally, I feel the lifestyle in Hong Kong is getting worse. Sooner or later, that will converge to the point where the calculation of pros and cons start making sense to leave for somewhere else. For others, that point has already been reached due to their considerations e.g. kids, jobs, beliefs etc.

Some people also mentioned racism in other countries. I grew up in the UK and experienced it myself. It is not every day (or even every year especially when younger) but its still there and can be quite nasty. I'm a youngish male and relatively well built, so it did not bother me much. But I can understand others who may feel more concern for their safety.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    It really depends on what is important for the person.
    The most important question is: Do you have kids?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8