Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Wow, ok. With two full time working parents in HK for seven years, I figured you might have been building up a nest egg. My apologies for not realising you are struggling to go anyway apart your from home city. What are you staying in HK for if not the money?

Instictive reaction to intellectual dishonesty.
    You need help if attacking people you don’t know on a forum for a city you left years ago is your main hobby.

I took an effective pay cut to leave - my pay remained the same but taxes take a much bigger chunk of it now. Was is the right move - absolutely - even before NSL and covid-19 - we're much happpier raising our children outside Hong Kong. After covid I am pretty sure we would have left even without a job to go to - the disruption to schooling has just been too much.
    Yet something keeps pulling us back to HK, whether it’s physically or online from Japan…
    Kowloon72 likes this.

When wondering why someone would stay in HK when they could afford to live elsewhere you cannot ignore the pull of 'home'

There might be many reasons why people call a place home and they are not always rational or easily definable.

We could have stayed in HK longer, the money was good and we lived in a nice place but it didnt feel like home. When we came back to the UK we could have lived anywhere but instead chose where we had lived for the previous 25 years even though it is quite unremarkable in many ways. Why? Because friends are here and we know it well. It's comfortable. HK lacked Al lot in terms of culture/entertainment that we wanted. At our stage in life getting a lovely house on a Greek island or whatever really doesn't appeal. Long hours of travel do but we'll still come home.

It's pointless criticising those that choose to stay put even if they have means to leave. We are all different. Accept it.

ndt, alexdown, AsianXpat0 and 8 others like this.

and for some of us who grew up as TCKs, nowhere really feels like 'home'...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    They chose HK as their tax residence…
    And so would the lottery winner.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by franz_franz:
    And so would the lottery winner.
    While I fully understand why local people would want to stay close to their home, family, friends and culture regardless of money, for those with limited ties in Hong Kong, there are many much nicer fiscal paradise elsewhere.

Wow, ok. With two full time working parents in HK for seven years, I figured you might have been building up a nest egg. My apologies for not realising you are struggling to go anyway apart your from home city. What are you staying in HK for if not the money
    Family and support systems are important after a while even if you have two working parent.. in the us even more important to have a support system in place where you can walk into and continue to work. My opinion...

If we were to leave HK at any point (it is our primary home) we would opt for a place with some degree of familiarity and where we have friends...

After a whole away who wants to really really start from scratch and make new friends and build a support network??
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Family and support systems are important after a while even if you have two working parent.. in the us even more important to have a support system in place where you can walk into and continue to work. My opinion...

If we were to leave HK at any point (it is our primary home) we would opt for a place with some degree of familiarity and where we have friends...

After a whole away who wants to really really start from scratch and make new friends and build a support network??
    It's more about the choice? Of course, that is a valid choice many would opt to make. There are many reasons to move back close to family and friends, and probably the majority choose to do so.

t isn't something I would like to be forced into though, I'd like the ability to choose to do that or choose to go somewhere else. The joy of HK is the ability to forge financial security to give options to deploy when the shit hits the fan like it has during the pandemic. Many families I know have done this - half a dozen of my (previously) HK-based colleagues alone have left. It would suck to feel trapped and unable to leave.

If it is about choice, then it is a personal decision - our decision (and no, we're not about to make one) would be made at a very personal level which might not make sense to anyone else.

Comfort, security, emotions .... hard to quantify into an algorithm. I'm sure even the nobel prize winners in behavioural economics make decisions that cannot be quantified - day in and day out.

Not sure where I read this line, I think its important -- "I think what I thought". No matter what you say, or what I say, people will continue to think along the lines that they originally thought, unless faced with overwhelming factors which make them go back to the very beginning of the thought process - online media are simply not suited for this.

Done with my thought vomit in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If it is about choice, then it is a personal decision - our decision (and no, we're not about to make one) would be made at a very personal level which might not make sense to anyone else.

Comfort, security, emotions .... hard to quantify into an algorithm. I'm sure even the nobel prize winners in behavioural economics make decisions that cannot be quantified - day in and day out.
    Exactly! Choosing a home is a bit like choosing a partner: not two people takes the same decision, and for the same reasons. And these decisions may strengthen or change with time.

Let's not forget that we all also came to HK looking for different things and coming from very diverse backgrounds and experiences. It's a bit simplistic to think that everyone moved to HK simply following the money like the baby on the Nirvana album cover. Actually, that has always been one of my favourite things of living here: meeting people from all paths of life.

As for us, we came here by mistake and stayed for the experience. It's a long story... One that doesn't involve a lot of money, unfortunately! We found ourselves in a place where our professions are just valued enough to pay 25k, now 30k, rent for our flat, international schools and a bit of travel but not enough to really save money. But we made it work for 10 years because we prioritised different things. In particular…

- The overall experience of living in in this corner of the world and the change of perspective it brought us, the possibility to explore Asia and Oceania, all experiences which we'll always treasure and that changed us forever.

- The education of our kids. Again, not a rational streamlined decision since we found international kindergarten and primary that were kind of the exception in HK’s ethos… almost the resistance to it, prioritizing imagination and self-initiated play, outdoor time, artistic expression and work life balance.
    Again, does it make sense to look for these things in HK? Absolutely not, but we value them, looked for them and found them and clanged on to them for dear life because we thought our kids were getting the education that we, and their cousins in Italy, could only dream of and that will make them citizens of the world.

Now we’ve certainly experienced much more than we anticipated, the famous interesting life curse… I never thought I would be living through Orwell’s Animal Farm and that, together with the impossibility to see our old parents, is taking a toll on us. Also we fear the kids’ education might be impacted by NSL sooner or later. So we are thinking about moving. Not to our country but to the next adventure.
    But now we’re older, less crazy and with two kids in school so we are using different criteria to choose our next destination: It has to be in a place where our professions can secure a good lifestyle, which now includes saving to buy a house… and it has to be in a democracy.

Sorry for the long post, these are thoughts that are on my mind a lot lately: where to move and, most of all, why, as in “what are we looking for now?”
    Last edited by Baklava; 26-08-2021 at 12:47 PM.
    merchantms, Gatts, shri and 7 others like this.

Page 12 of 71 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 ... LastLast