Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 107 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast

HK has always been a place everyone wants to make as much money as they can before leaving and retiring somewhere because of the cost and the quality of life. So without comparing with surveys did before 2018 its not really that informative.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    HK has always been a place everyone wants to make as much money as they can before leaving and retiring somewhere because of the cost and the quality of life. So without comparing with surveys did before 2018 its not really that informative.
    The situation is way worse now. With Covid and the city leaders’ turning away from the international community, everyone expats and locals that I know is looking for a way out. My expat friends are willing to take 30-40% pay cuts just to checkout of this place.
    dossier, Tandy, mrgoodkat and 5 others like this.

I left on October 1st. I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately, I'll have to keep coming back to HK over the years but I'm hoping not for a few months and when quarantine rules have relaxed.

bigtooth81, Skyhook, Sage and 1 others like this.

Does that apply to locals? The survey was not just expats was it?
    TheBrit and ndt like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    it was predominantly locals
    hullexile likes this.

It seems you live in some kind of bubble. Ask any local school if their numbers are the same as 2018, heck ask any local community because everyone knows people now who have emigrated. Scenes like the huge lines at the BA check in gates, and the check-in line lady saying "everyone wants to leave HK nowadays" simply did not happen pre-NSL in HK. Also, as opposed to expats ,locals are not leaving because of the crazy quarantine rules, but because of NSL and the CCP takeover.
    Mefisto, TheBrit, Mcdavid and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bsh:
    I left on October 1st. I'm glad I did.

Unfortunately, I'll have to keep coming back to HK over the years but I'm hoping not for a few months and when quarantine rules have relaxed.
    oh dear, it seems like this forum is being taken over by ex-hkers
    geoexpat is becoming a requiem for hong kong
    shri, Kowloon72, Baklava and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    oh dear, it seems like this forum is being taken over by ex-hkers
    geoexpat is becoming a requiem for hong kong
    That has been going on for a long time (posted from the Philippines )
    timothwc, bigtooth81, hike and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I am sure if you have done the survey prior to 2018, targeting the locals, the % would likely not deviate that much. What happens in 19/20/21 merely speeds up the migration process, never really alter most of these guy's ultimate retirement plan.

Just look at the number of people that send their kids to boarding school in the UK all these years for indication...

Yeah I left HK at end of 2019 because it was shit. I can't imagine how much shitter it is today. I still want to go back for a beer though (posted from Australia )

Closed Thread
Page 16 of 107 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 24 ... LastLast