Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 107 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt30:
    There is not one way of dealing with covid. China has effectively dealt with covid, their method worked. (Yes, I know it is unpopular to say anything good about the CCP.) Of course cases will rise again in HK & China because the rest of the world is not controlling covid. The rest of the world has decided to vaccinate and live with covid. Both are viable ways of dealing with covid as proven in their results.

The problem is if everyone else is doing one method and you are doing another, then you are dooming yourself into indefinite travel restrictions.
    It may be unpopular because they started the pandemic & tried to hide it. Lies after lies, as usual.

I've been in HK for 10 years. I still quite like it here, however, the no end-in-sight covid zero policy is grating indeed. HK and China have done an excellent job in eliminating covid but the rest of the world has gone the endemic route. I don't want to be stuck in HK, China for the next 10 years.
    It won’t last for 10 years, come on. Think about it - why bother with cyber attacks or espionage if you can just smuggle in a vial of COVID-19 and release in a China that is closed off with no natural immunity? They will ruin the economy by staying sealed off which is a source of domestic political instability as well. And then there’s brain drain - overseas Chinese can’t go back home without 28 days quarantine so will be stewing in naughty foreign ideas for years on end, and may never come back.

If they keep this up beyond 2022 China is finished and we should all be packing our bags.

There is not one way of dealing with covid. China has effectively dealt with covid, their method worked. (Yes, I know it is unpopular to say anything good about the CCP.) Of course cases will rise again in HK & China because the rest of the world is not controlling covid. The rest of the world has decided to vaccinate and live with covid. Both are viable ways of dealing with covid as proven in their results.

The problem is if everyone else is doing one method and you are doing another, then you are dooming yourself into indefinite travel restrictions.
    I am sorry but that is simply not true. There is only one way of dealing with Covid and that is by vaccination with effective vaccines. Australia, NZ, Songapore all tried the 0 covid approach and it failed. How do you envision less developed regions like parts of Africa, parts of South America, parts of Asia and parts of Europe to close down everything (Setting aside the economic nightmares)?

China can do this because there is a totalitarian regime, people are afraid to be caught, cameras, police, all are available in abundance to lock cities and regions down. Not so in the rest of the world.

By the time the CCP informed the world that there was a new coronavirus on the loose (after first frantically trying to hide the news) flocks of Chinese had already travelled everywhere in the world for business and pleasure. It only takes one case to create havoc.

Isolation is not a long term solution and closing down the world was never a viable option.
    blandy62, Flapster and bigtooth81 like this.

Original Post Deleted
    “world“ cities have an ability to generate large turnovers of people. methinks the new hongkongers you describe are going through a honeymoon period.

if fundamental problems in hong kong don't get fixed, the honeymoons are going to get shorter and shorter
    shri, hullexile, Tandy and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:

if fundamental problems in hong kong don't get fixed, the honeymoons are going to get shorter and shorter
    And the mainland tax net...

when I was working for an American life insurance company in causeway bay in the mid 2000s, the fresh graduate hires would small talk during work for hours on end, and even went out together every other night. two of them even found their future spouse in the company

by the time their asia ops were sold to a Taiwanese company, nobody even noticed the fresh graduate hires of that year until over a month on the job

I'm about to leave. The apartment above and below me is empty. In soho. Coincidence maybe, or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish:
    I'm about to leave. The apartment above and below me is empty. In soho. Coincidence maybe, or more?
    as long as property prices go up, it's all good. nobody bothers to rent out theirs when prices never come down, which forces ever more people to become homeowners. this cycle is why the bugger keeps going up
    misshappy26 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 107 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 26 ... LastLast