Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Reply
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast
  1. #181

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cramped island
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Does that apply to locals? The survey was not just expats was it?
    I am sure if you have done the survey prior to 2018, targeting the locals, the % would likely not deviate that much. What happens in 19/20/21 merely speeds up the migration process, never really alter most of these guy's ultimate retirement plan.

    Just look at the number of people that send their kids to boarding school in the UK all these years for indication...

  2. #182

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,434

    Yeah I left HK at end of 2019 because it was shit. I can't imagine how much shitter it is today. I still want to go back for a beer though (posted from Australia )


  3. #183

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    oh dear, it seems like this forum is being taken over by ex-hkers
    geoexpat is becoming a requiem for hong kong
    Free speech, innit.

    But a time will come when it will impact the quality of advice and information provided on here.
    Gatts and Jillypots like this.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    27,123
    Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    oh dear, it seems like this forum is being taken over by ex-hkers
    geoexpat is becoming a requiem for hong kong
    Or taken over by locals
    Jillypots likes this.

  5. #185

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    97

    I've been in HK for 10 years. I still quite like it here, however, the no end-in-sight covid zero policy is grating indeed. HK and China have done an excellent job in eliminating covid but the rest of the world has gone the endemic route. I don't want to be stuck in HK, China for the next 10 years.

    tothemoon and Flapster like this.

  6. #186

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,410
    Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I am sure if you have done the survey prior to 2018, targeting the locals, the % would likely not deviate that much. What happens in 19/20/21 merely speeds up the migration process, never really alter most of these guy's ultimate retirement plan.
    The evidence points to the overwhelming majority of quite young parents that leave with their kids in order for them to grow up in a free environment, who otherwise would never have moved in their lives. This destroys your argument, and it really seems you're trying to grasp to an explanation in order to cope with the changing reality.
    Flapster likes this.

  7. #187

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon72:
    Free speech, innit.

    But a time will come when it will impact the quality of advice and information provided on here.
    I kind of doubt it. From my casual observation, there are loads of ex-residents on this board, and their info seems either still totally relevant (because they still have financial/property links). Or they post on current affairs type threads where global or regional perspectives are relevant. Some of the very best but infrequent recent posts are from Titus- his updates from the BC hinterlands have been amazing.

    It also seems a very self-selecting kind of thing, as these users tended to have been the most engaged when they were local.

    Whereas with resident posters, it's a total smattering with lots of drive bys. I'd go so far as to say that if you average out the quality of advice and information across all resident vs overseas posters, quality is higher for the second group. Surely some of the very worst pieces of advice, or recurring dour themes, are from resident posters who would probably benefit from moving abroad.

    Edit: Also from an information perspective... I've been here ages. I keep giving advice on local tech stuff because it's a personal interest. However, I simply keep repeating the same things over and over and over again, because nothing changes. SSP Ap Lei St is the place for cheap electronics, there are 2 computer centres, there is one place that replaces battery packs... I could be replaced with a bloody bot any none of this would change.
    Last edited by jgl; 21-10-2021 at 11:03 AM.
    shri, hullexile, alexdown and 2 others like this.

  8. #188

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt30:
    I've been in HK for 10 years. I still quite like it here, however, the no end-in-sight covid zero policy is grating indeed. HK and China have done an excellent job in eliminating covid but the rest of the world has gone the endemic route. I don't want to be stuck in HK, China for the next 10 years.
    Let's rephrase this: HK and China have managed to kept numbers relatively low. It's just a matter of time until they will rise again, and every single country on earth is better prepared as they have realised there is only one way of dealing with covid, and that is to live with it.
    Gatts, Sage, D.YU and 3 others like this.

  9. #189

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,645
    Quote Originally Posted by mucaari:
    Let's rephrase this: HK and China have managed to kept numbers relatively low. It's just a matter of time until they will rise again, and every single country on earth is better prepared as they have realised there is only one way of dealing with covid, and that is to live with it.
    Some of us realised that back at the start of 2020.
    mucaari likes this.

  10. #190

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    931

    It is going to be impossible to be 0 covid. Its like saying 0 HIV/AIDs.

    If that is the approach they want to stick with, then even 10 years wont end the restrictions.

    Early stages of lockdowns and restrictions made sense. But after this long and how much it has already spread, it is time to accept the fact we need to live with it.

    bigtooth81 and mucaari like this.

Reply
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 27 ... LastLast