Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 107 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    For those of you working in larger offices, any trend of people leaving HK?

I can see a clear trend over the past few months in my office that people from western countries are throwing in the towel. Basically they went back this summer to Europe realized how nice it is and came back to HK realizing how not nice it is. Some people with kids were in the opposite situation, due to quarantine rules for small kids they could not go back and with no end in sight, the towel was again thrown in.

This trend is stronger than locals relocating to UK etc, which happened a bit earlier this year (in fairly small numbers in my bank).
    The trend is very clear in my office. People haven't moved altogether but most are looking for other options, change to short-term rent, or wait for the current leases to expire.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtooth81:
    The trend is very clear in my office. People haven't moved altogether but most are looking for other options, change to short-term rent, or wait for the current leases to expire.
    Sounds like no trend at all, except a lot of things brewing ready to explode..

Joined a major international company a few months ago… so many expats are leaving - either just quitting or transferring to other countries. Also, there’s major difficulties at the moment trying to hire replacements. Hiring proces taking months and all candidates pulling out because they have accepted jobs elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ph1lW:
    ...Hiring proces taking months and all candidates pulling out because they have accepted jobs elsewhere.
    Please come to an interview in our HK office! It comes with an all-expenses paid two-week retreat at the second-rate hotel of your limited choice...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Please come to an interview in our HK office! It comes with an all-expenses paid two-week retreat at the second-rate hotel of your limited choice...
    And possibly an added complimentary stay beyond that at Penny’s Bay or at a hospital itself. *special deal currently available on select floors at the Sheraton Four Points.

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:
    this can obviously be interpreted as twenty isolated cases of people taking their pets to England with them for short term student exchanges, while millions of other people with pets are flooding to Hong Kong, but have patronised an unnamed rival company…

…Oops, I am practising for my interview for government spokesperson. Apologies!

failing that I can apply for masters program in creative writing
    I know you were joking, but the cost of moving animals out of HK is so extortionate that even the very rich will think twice!! Also, why do you assume everyone is relocating to England? Plenty of other countries to move to…,……….
    shri likes this.

I live in Tung Chung, so pretty much any airline staff I know have either left/leaving/or planning on leaving. Even the ones with a well paying job are leaving. I do not know how HK will solve the staff shortage once/if they reopen, but the industry is relatively small and they know each other, I'm gathering not many will come back and we will get crap pilots from the great bay area!

The protests started the exodus but the Covid situation is the last nail in the coffin.

Sage and Jillypots like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I live in Tung Chung, so pretty much any airline staff I know have either left/leaving/or planning on leaving. Even the ones with a well paying job are leaving. I do not know how HK will solve the staff shortage once/if they reopen, but the industry is relatively small and they know each other, I'm gathering not many will come back and we will get crap pilots from the great bay area!

The protests started the exodus but the Covid situation is the last nail in the coffin.
    Mainlanders, don't you know.

Part of the great plan.
    qhank and Sage like this.

Wait for 5 years, narrative will change, taking over HK and not letting it go astray like other old cousin will be patriotic duty to great motherland and if nothing else, money is the biggest motivator anyway..

shri, AsianXpat0, Baklava and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Wait for 5 years, narrative will change, taking over HK and not letting it go astray like other old cousin will be patriotic duty to great motherland and if nothing else, money is the biggest motivator anyway..
    Not if they still have to pay taxes to the mainland on their local HK income...

Closed Thread
Page 20 of 107 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 28 ... LastLast