Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by timothwc:

if fundamental problems in hong kong don't get fixed, the honeymoons are going to get shorter and shorter
    And the mainland tax net...

when I was working for an American life insurance company in causeway bay in the mid 2000s, the fresh graduate hires would small talk during work for hours on end, and even went out together every other night. two of them even found their future spouse in the company

by the time their asia ops were sold to a Taiwanese company, nobody even noticed the fresh graduate hires of that year until over a month on the job

I'm about to leave. The apartment above and below me is empty. In soho. Coincidence maybe, or more?

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish:
    I'm about to leave. The apartment above and below me is empty. In soho. Coincidence maybe, or more?
    as long as property prices go up, it's all good. nobody bothers to rent out theirs when prices never come down, which forces ever more people to become homeowners. this cycle is why the bugger keeps going up
    misshappy26 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    And the mainland tax net...
    And for those that aren’t tax resident? I think they have some 30/90/183 day rule.

Too few students...

Class size is the main factor in quality.

In other news, apartments demolished for having too much space?

mrgoodkat and Coolboy like this.

For those of you working in larger offices, any trend of people leaving HK?

I can see a clear trend over the past few months in my office that people from western countries are throwing in the towel. Basically they went back this summer to Europe realized how nice it is and came back to HK realizing how not nice it is. Some people with kids were in the opposite situation, due to quarantine rules for small kids they could not go back and with no end in sight, the towel was again thrown in.

This trend is stronger than locals relocating to UK etc, which happened a bit earlier this year (in fairly small numbers in my bank).

I haven't noticed a material change of people leaving and those that have left are mostly locals / BNOs. Surprisingly not a single Brit in our office has left to my recollection.

The biggest challenge we have with headcount is the lack of incoming hires... pre-protests and pandemic, 30% of our new hires came from overseas, including from up north. Now it's probably less than 3%.

Page 21 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 29 ... LastLast