Like Tree2307Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

SCMP thinks the departure of people from the city is "alarming":

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    All of the expats we know who have left have done so because of Covid - travel restrictions, school closures, impact to their job (eg CX pilots).
    And all of the locals I know who have left (which is a high number and more indicative of the real situation here) have done so because of the erosion of freedoms/fear for the future.
    Baklava, Gatts, Mrs. Jones and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdavid:
    And all of the locals I know who have left (which is a high number and more indicative of the real situation here) have done so because of the erosion of freedoms/fear for the future.
    As have many of my expat acquaintances / friends (e.g. a handful who worked for NYT and moved to South Korea..).

We're one of the blind men describing an elephant which might be ready to take a huge shit on us ...
    Mcdavid, Baklava and hongkong7 like this.

Good article about this in the Guardian today. Not a single Hong Konger mentioned the pandemic as a reason to leave HK.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...life-in-the-uk

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Good article about this in the Guardian today. Not a single Hong Konger mentioned the pandemic as a reason to leave HK.

Why even mention the pandemic as a reason to leave? Its not logical. Its not like the pandemic is any better in the UK, Canada or the US. Its pretty clear people are leaving the city because they disagree with the way the city is heading politically...and its implications for its business environment, economy and society.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 13-08-2021 at 12:48 PM.

-

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:

When people are leaving a community that has had nearly zero local infection cases for over 2months ( HK Gov Covid app source) for a country where local infection is still prevelant and people die, it's pretty self evident that something else is driving their action.

The last of my friends left the other day and every other one has arrived and settled in no problem. They all mention how welcoming the border agency and customs are treating them. So, someone must have had a word in these guys ears after years of a"bloody foreigners" attitudes
    shri, TheBrit, Gatts and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tropic:
    HK is still strong in many areas. Where else in the world can you get:
    1) No capital gains tax
    2) Domestic helpers
    3) Universal health care
    4) No death penalty
    ?
    Not withstanding that the other things you listed are also suspect (for example HK's universal health care is nowhere near the standards of some of it's Asian neighbors or large parts of Europe) but to list Domestic Helpers as something to boast about is absolutely bewildering. It is institutionalized slavery in order to make up for a systemic failure of child and elderly care services, and here you are trying to tout it like a good thing. Insane.
    Last edited by Gatts; 13-08-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdavid:
    Yes that’s right. My comment doesn’t negate this fact which has been well covered in this thread already.

Among my circle people are very worn down by the travel restrictions especially with elderly parents. Some short term summer trips have becoming permanent relocations because affairs are home couldn’t be resolved in one 3 week trip every 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Why even mention the pandemic as a reason to leave? Its not logical. Its not like the pandemic is any better in the UK, Canada or the US. Its pretty clear people are leaving the city because they disagree with the way the city is heading politically...and its implications for its business environment, economy and society.
    So if you’re a Cathay pilot and you lose your job, don’t speak Cantonese and don’t have educational background to find work in banking, teaching etc - would that be the pandemic as a reason to leave?
    Skyhook likes this.

Page 3 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast