Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    I finally handed in my notice effective Jan 31st, last day Mar 31st
    1 month for MPF so end of Apr should have money in my bank account.
    Find a lovely island to enjoy 2-3 weeks of long overdue vacation, laying on the beach with a nice cold beer in my hand and scratching my nuts with the other hand

Then go to UK (look for house / look for job / look for school for my kid)

Next adventures awaits.

Wishing you all the best. How long have you been in Hong Kong?
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Wishing you all the best. How long have you been in Hong Kong?
    Tooooo Long

43 years i've been in HK

Tooooo Long

43 years i've been in HK
    Fuck me that is a long time.

Keep us up to date with your nut scratching in the UK.

Find a lovely island to enjoy 2-3 weeks of long overdue vacation, laying on the beach with a nice cold beer in my hand and scratching my nuts with the other hand

Next adventures awaits.

Best of luck to you and your family and the new adventure you're all embarking on together. House, garden and southern Europe a short plane or moderate self drive trip away for future summer holidays. Kick ass !
    chuckster007 likes this.

Next adventures awaits.
    43 years? Thats a big decision congrats and also sorry to see you leave!

Talked to some old timers like you once, they claimed business wise the city actually got more and more international in the early years. I would have guessed under British rule that it would have been very expat dominated early on in the business scene. But at least this banker claimed things got more international before it somewhere early 2010s started to get more mainland influenced here. Agree?

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:

Talked to some old timers like you once, they claimed business wise the city actually got more and more international in the early years. I would have guessed under British rule that it would have been very expat dominated early on in the business scene. But at least this banker claimed things got more international before it somewhere early 2010s started to get more mainland influenced here. Agree?
    I think this is backed by census data. HK actually was never more international than in 2018/2019. At least if you count it by non-chinese residents and level of english speaking residents in the society. While it clearly already had issues with rights/democracy and whatever, it really was a thriving business hub until then, with more and more people choose to live here. The reversal came with protests in 2019 followed by zero-covid.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Best of luck to you and your family and the new adventure you're all embarking on together. House, garden and southern Europe a short plane or moderate self drive trip away for future summer holidays. Kick ass !
    Mate this is what I m really looking forward to, im already looking to buy a few cars

1. Audi A4 or similar estate car for daily driving to and back for work
    2. Landrover or Range rover for weekends
    3. Motorbike for quick short trips or weekend bike rally / gatherings

once a month cheap flights on Ryanair to many European cities for short 2-3 day weekend trips with just a small backpack (wear same underwear for 3 days LOL)

1 way ticket to European cities for less than 100HKD

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/plan-t...re/cheap-deals
    kittykaitak and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:

Definitely agree, after 2010 saw more and more mainlanders with bags of money coming to HK and they really stood out.

Definitely agree, after 2010 saw more and more mainlanders with bags of money coming to HK and they really stood out.
    I\m happy I caught the last whiff of the good old days, moving here in 2011. I really felt HK was the perfect mix of old and new in those days. I guess its part of become old(er) reminisce about the good old days.

You should do a tribute thread/post telling stories from all your 40+ years here..
    chuckster007 likes this.

Cheers @chuckster007, another long-timer leaving for greener pasture, more importantly one of the very few of us left from GeoStoneAge era, your bolts, nuts and words of practical wisdom will be sorely missed unless you turn into one of the many lifelong members of GeoLurker community..
    All the best..

Jillypots likes this.

Page 37 of 71 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast