Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingofhk:
    Enough for me. Arrived in 2018, hit in the face with protests, then the absurdity of the zero-COVID theater, 2 years without making any progress. Bailing back to the US in June. Wife going in March, as schools are closed anyway.

I am as far as a conspiracy theorist as you will find, but I am starting to think these policies are being enacted with the specific objective of draining the foreign work force from Hong Kong to make room for mainland permanent settlers instead. Another version of what was done to Shenzhen.
    Mind sharing some substantive evidence to support that claim? Such a claim is at odds with numerous reports from mainland think tanks about the importance of attracting foreign talent in the age of decoupling. Although I can't deny the ebb and flow of attitudes towards foreigners in HK and the mainland, I'm curious whether your claim is based on a hunch or whether you have more evidence. For example, are more work visas being rejected for flimsy reasons?
    Last edited by hhku; 02-02-2022 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hhku:
    Mind sharing some substantive evidence to support that claim? Such a claim is at odds with numerous reports from mainland think tanks about the importance of attracting foreign talent in the age of decoupling. Although I can't deny the ebb and flow of attitudes towards foreigners in HK and the mainland, I'm curious whether your claim is based on a hunch or whether you have more evidence. For example, are more work visas being rejected for flimsy reasons?
    "I am starting to think" is hardly a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    "I am starting to think" is hardly a claim.
    Might have come across as challenging his assertion/claim but that was not my intention. Just wanted to see why he feels the way he feels.

Original Post Deleted
    They are like 6 months in right now... give it 5 years!

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Where will you be in 5 years?

Mind sharing some substantive evidence to support that claim?
    Ahem:
    https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/28/pe...tions-doubles/

Such a claim is at odds with numerous reports from mainland think tanks about the importance of attracting foreign talent in the age of decoupling.
    If your basis for information are mainland think tanks I really don't know what to say to you.
    hullexile, Sage, Jillypots and 1 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I think the main thing that Hong Konger's will really have to adjust to, will be the cold/damp winters in the UK and Canada. That will take some time to develop a tolerance for.

But it will be interesting to see how things go over the next few years and how many actually do return back to Hong Kong. I'm guessing that we wont see as much of a repeat of what happened after the 1997 handover, 5 years later a fair percentage of which did return back to the HK mothership.

You'll get a much smaller percentage returning, this time around, me thinks.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 02-02-2022 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Ahem:
    https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/28/pe...tions-doubles/

If your basis for information are mainland think tanks I really don't know what to say to you.
    Do you play Wordle? A five letter word. You have 6 goes.

I think suggesting the CCP will fall in 5 years is a breach of NSL.
    Sage, shri, aw451 and 2 others like this.

Are you expecting HK to change in the next 5 years?

Closed Thread
Page 37 of 107 FirstFirst ... 29 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 45 ... LastLast