Like Tree2307Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    So if you’re a Cathay pilot and you lose your job, don’t speak Cantonese and don’t have educational background to find work in banking, teaching etc - would that be the pandemic as a reason to leave?
    I'm talking about locals in general, not CX pilots, come on.

Quote Originally Posted by tropic:
    HK is still strong in many areas. Where else in the world can you get:
    1) No capital gains tax
    2) Domestic helpers
    3) Universal health care
    4) No death penalty
    ?
    Bizarre to bring up death penalty. As if expats or locals consider their chances of the death penalty as reason to stay or go. Granted, it's a kind of marker for human rights... (but then, domestic helpers kind of is a human rights issue...)

But actually, I think now with the NSL and the possibility of extradition to China, which does have the death penalty, it's not really true to say there's "no death penalty". For the average person, I think the fear of going to prison for things as simple as having a particular flag, saying a particular slogan, singing a particular song or even booing at the wrong time (all in manners that were common just a few years ago) is a more tangible, immediate concern.

As for universal health care, it has its limitations. I've seen elderly stuck at home for half a year with a condition, waiting for treatment. With their mobility severely restricted in that time, I'm not sure it's so "universal" and I'm not sure I personally want to have to depend on it in the future.
    Gatts, alexdown and Jillypots like this.

Ex Colleague has just left HK for South Korea. She is Hong Kong born. She was always unhappy with the governance of HK and the increasing control of Bejing. She sold her flat back in the middle of the 2019 protests to be ready to leave.

Yesterday she contacted me because her cousin, his wife and 2 small kids are moving to my town in the UK and wanted advice on what areas to live for good schooling.

Her Mum and Dad (in their 60''s I assume) are also intending to move near by. They do not speak a word of English!

Original Post Deleted
    You don't want to stay safe with a mask compliant society but you want to travel elsewhere so you can travel elsewhere in non-mask compliant societies?? The 99.9% compliance of mask wearing suggests to me it really is a non issue.

Anyway yes your criticism of HKSAR government's non-policy of the future plans for travel seems very valid. HK should open up with the rest of the world but can't and could open up with China but won't.

Original Post Deleted
    Again your criticism of of HK Gov's non-policy of border opening is valid but probably not a very very strong reason for expats leaving but a reason for people not to come. This lack of governance vision coupled with the anti-foreigner sentiments and lack of quality of life improvements, GDP growth in the doldrums for years etc...

Original Post Deleted
    I don't think it is possible to find recent peer reviewed evidence to support this. Falsehoods...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    We're one of the blind men describing an elephant which might be ready to take a huge shit on us ...
    Or the proverbial frog in the pot of soon to be boiling water

looks like HK will be overrun with more mainlanders to compensate the loss of people

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    Or the proverbial frog in the pot of soon to be boiling water
    Maybe. But I think that suggests we don't know we're "being cooked" - I think most of us do. So I this instance, I like Shri's more - we know something big is here and it could be very bad news and when the real impact comes, it might come very sudden, before we have a chance to react.

Or maybe I'm just full of shit.
    Sage and MatthieuTofu like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Link?

'In areas with community transmission of COVID-19, wearing a medical or non-medical face mask is recommended in confined public spaces and can be considered in crowded outdoor settings'

From ECDC - Using face masks in the community: first update Effectiveness in reducing transmission of COVID-19 15 February 2021
    Last edited by East_coast; 13-08-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Page 4 of 98 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast