Like Tree1711Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 49 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:

WHY are there still plenty more with fake locations still attached to their messages!
    Never noticed I didn't have a location. You don't either - we have no idea where you really are!! Anyway, I've updated mine now - I was inspired by a phrase you used in a previous post.
    Flapster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Attachment 85789

what’s not to like in HK? (He posts on one of the few days of the year where the air is clean )
    This is a one time of the year thing, winds are blowing right down from Dongguan, but the factories are closed. Enjoy the next week or two

https://www.windy.com/?22.363,114.185,9

Enough for me. Arrived in 2018, hit in the face with protests, then the absurdity of the zero-COVID theater, 2 years without making any progress. Bailing back to the US in June. Wife going in March, as schools are closed anyway.

I am as far as a conspiracy theorist as you will find, but I am starting to think these policies are being enacted with the specific objective of draining the foreign work force from Hong Kong to make room for mainland permanent settlers instead. Another version of what was done to Shenzhen.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingofhk:
    Enough for me. Arrived in 2018, hit in the face with protests, then the absurdity of the zero-COVID theater, 2 years without making any progress. Bailing back to the US in June. Wife going in March, as schools are closed anyway.

I am as far as a conspiracy theorist as you will find, but I am starting to think these policies are being enacted with the specific objective of draining the foreign work force from Hong Kong to make room for mainland permanent settlers instead. Another version of what was done to Shenzhen.
    It's a little closer to reality than conspiracy theory imo.

Anyway, some numbers from Taiwan.
    [Taiwan-Hong Kong Interaction] Last year, the number of Hong Kong people immigrating to Taiwan broke a new record

According to the latest statistics released by the Immigration Department, last year ( 2021 ), 11,173 Hong Kong residents were granted residence permits, an increase of 360 over the previous year ( 2020 ) ; 1,685 Hong Kong residents were granted residence permits, an increase of 109 over the previous year , with both residence and settlement permits. Break historical records.

According to data, the number of Hong Kong people applying for immigration to Taiwan surged after the anti-extradition movement in March 2019 . In 2018 , there were 5,238 Hong Kong residents with residence and settlement permits , which increased to 7,332 by the end of 2019 , and 12,389 in 2020 , breaking the historical record for three consecutive years.
    https://www.rfa.org/cantonese/news/h...022051209.html
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Attachment 85789

what’s not to like in HK? (He posts on one of the few days of the year where the air is clean )
    That’s nice, but will it be there when you get out of quarantine prison? Or perhaps a better question would be, would it be the only thing left

Beutiful Italy, where people don't know how to drive :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    So, in the Emilia- Romagna region of Italy, possibly, Bologna aka the stomach of Italy?
    No, close to the Swiss border, aka the bank of Italy.
    emx, Skyhook and BraveRis like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thinkingofhk:

Mind sharing some substantive evidence to support that claim? Such a claim is at odds with numerous reports from mainland think tanks about the importance of attracting foreign talent in the age of decoupling. Although I can't deny the ebb and flow of attitudes towards foreigners in HK and the mainland, I'm curious whether your claim is based on a hunch or whether you have more evidence. For example, are more work visas being rejected for flimsy reasons?
    Last edited by hhku; 02-02-2022 at 04:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hhku:
    Mind sharing some substantive evidence to support that claim? Such a claim is at odds with numerous reports from mainland think tanks about the importance of attracting foreign talent in the age of decoupling. Although I can't deny the ebb and flow of attitudes towards foreigners in HK and the mainland, I'm curious whether your claim is based on a hunch or whether you have more evidence. For example, are more work visas being rejected for flimsy reasons?
    "I am starting to think" is hardly a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    "I am starting to think" is hardly a claim.
    Might have come across as challenging his assertion/claim but that was not my intention. Just wanted to see why he feels the way he feels.

For those that were hoping BNO HKers would soon be back due to the weather, tax, racism, their "poor English", lack of preparedness and so on, it seems you will be disappointed...

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...o-visas-uk-are

Page 41 of 71 FirstFirst ... 33 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 49 ... LastLast