Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 46 of 107 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 54 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Useful Idiot with token white face..
    Zeman visited every site in China that LKF was likely to start a project. He stressed that it was important to have the local government as a partner which would “get things done a lot easier.”

https://www.centennialcollege.hku.hk...ing%20Note.pdf
    ndt likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    I expect poster and myself will always be able to get a visa. I can't imagine ever being denied. If there is some political reason blocking my visa application I'd also expect my PR to be cancelled anyway.

My wife flies out this week.
    mucaari and NTCP88 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvs:
    I expect poster and myself will always be able to get a visa. I can't imagine ever being denied. If there is some political reason blocking my visa application I'd also expect my PR to be cancelled anyway.

The Singapore visa situation should give you Oude on that argument
    Mrs. Jones and alexdown like this.

Correct... HK is probably the easiest place to get a work visa, might change in the future. If SG approves our entity and grants me a visa, I will not come back to HK anymore. On paper SG has no reason to deny it, we are a public trading (Nasdaq) company, and I'm a Senior Executive. Let's see...
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    If you never intend to live or work in Hong Kong again what are the benefits?
    Humans have a tendency to lack foresight and change intentions. 20 years ago, did you have any intention of living in the country you are now?

On top of this, PR application is dead easy and free. Work visa is much harder, need employer letter, pay $200 or so, do every 3 years. To get PR, just show your HKID, passport, and last 7 years of visa stickers in the passport (might need to show your old expired passport for that). Thats it, done. Get a new ID card with the word "permanent" on it. A nice souvenir before you bugger off and never come back again (but still collect $10k in handouts and $5k in consumption vouchers for the next few years if you've got a friend in HK who can buy an octopus for you and beep it on those machine thingys in the MTR ).

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    As long as there is money in this town and access to the money flowing in and out of our northern neighbours, yes business will return. Going to be another brutal year, but I do think there will be business to do in this town - assuming its not burnt down to reduce the infected population to zero.

Anecdotally - On walks around town which are popular with expats - we keep hearing French, Spanish (and other European languages) and Hindi / Indian languages. There is a French inflow for sure. I'm not sure where they work or what they do here. May be @Plutark has some insights?
    You see many French around because living in Paris suck. Also when it comes to finance the French education is/was oriented towards math a lot so most of the derivatives desks here are full of French. Add the F&B industry and you get a fair amount of people living here.

France is a nice country but as a young person your career progress will be limited unless you come from one of the top school, it's a very cast like culture in my experience. I got a job in the UK for a company I applied in France and never got an reply from.

For Spanish I would gather a lot are coming from South America where the economy is shit. For Indians, see above I'm guessing it's the same types of problems.
    shri likes this.

Heard French VIE program is also major contributor of young French population in the city who are mostly here on short/medium term and oblivious to the state of the city as they are here to enjoy all the good it has to offer along with some international work experience.

Anecdotally i also see eastern European on increase lately all around the town probably for the same reason @Plutark mentioned.. On the whole my observation is one set of expats are/will be replaced with another and HK goes on, in fact at times i feel ground reality in and around the town seems contrary to what numbers on Webb-site shows..

https://www.fccihk.com/recruitment/i...ip-offers.html

Quote Originally Posted by NTCP88:
    It went downhill around 2016 - 2017, at least that's my experience.
    Interested as to why you feel it went down hill then. We arrived in 2017 and had a great couple of years up til the 2019 protests (although that didn't really affect us much). For us only the first months of the pandemic affected us, then we left.

So what happened in 16-17?

So what happened in 16-17?

David Bowie died.
    vmlinuz, Corrib, hullexile and 2 others like this.

Expectations have a habit of changing.

I’ve been in HK nearly 1/4 century- so it’ll be time for me to leave soon.

But in that time, I’ve seen many people come and go, and come back again and go again, and come back again…

Closed Thread
Page 46 of 107 FirstFirst ... 38 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 54 ... LastLast