Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 55 ... LastLast

I’d take 3 months in your suitcase if you can.

I think if you’re diabetic, you can get an NHS exemption card so prescriptions will be free. Do check this out. Just be prepared for a monthly balls-up If you end up registered at a crappy Health centre and equally crappy pharmacist.

Just checked, yes she can.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/pres...prescriptions/

Last edited by bsh; 17-02-2022 at 12:36 PM.
    chuckster007 and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    we will ship over a years worth of meds with our belongings if possible lol my mrs asked me this question about meds this morning asking if her insulin shots are provided free by NHS ?? I told her Ill have to look into it, I dont think she will get those for free.
    My father has all his diabetic meds including insulin covered by the NHS.
    chuckster007 and shri like this.

Yah ill be doing some reading up on the diabetic meds

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2...ng-medication/

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    My father has all his diabetic meds including insulin covered by the NHS.
    And then you get all prescribed meds free even the non diabetic ones

Actively considering now. Interviews underway with a summer departure becoming a possibility. Feeling quite sad about it in some ways. It's not just Covid or NSL (although they have certainly not helped) - more a need for change after 14 years here.

Quote Originally Posted by bsh:
    Welcome (back) when you do.

Word of warning though. Be prepared for the shocking costs of food and utility bills and also a not-so-great-anymore NHS. If you have to take medication, bring 3 months supply back with you, just in case.
    Food will still feel cheap initially (until you get used to it) after Hong Kong prices.

after citysuper, shopping at waitrose feels cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Food will still feel cheap initially (until you get used to it) after Hong Kong prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    especially cheese !!!!! But my local wet market does Taiwanese sausages (pepper or honey) at very comparable prices and they’re every bit as good as a British banger. Fabulous on a barbecue and infinitely better than M&S and Waitrose imports.

Personally if I was to leave HK, and I am starting to consider it for the first time, UK would be way down the list, but still in front of the US. Vietnam, Thailand or Philippines in no particular order but each with their own quirks to consider.
    Gollygordon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Personally if I was to leave HK, and I am starting to consider it for the first time, UK would be way down the list, but still in front of the US. Vietnam, Thailand or Philippines in no particular order but each with their own quirks to consider.
    I'm going to be heading to the UK initially - it's where my family are that I've missed for 2 years, it's where I've got friends, places to stay, etc. I have a little fantasy about - depending on global situation at the time - going somewhere like Barcelona or Berlin, taking an AirBnB for a month and just chilling the fuck out for a bit.

After that... to be honest, there's a fair chance I'll spend some time in the UK, but otherwise Israel is probably most likely - I was heading there before I got diverted to Hong Kong 17 years ago, I've also got people there, I've lived there before, I don't need a visa and there should be plenty of tech work there. Canada or elsewhere in Europe could also be options - but I think I'm done with East Asia...

All the best @chuckster007 Check out the footie thread if you can

chuckster007 and hullexile like this.

Page 47 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 55 ... LastLast