Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 ... LastLast

posted by @ByeByeEngland

Personally if I was to leave HK, and I am starting to consider it for the first time, UK would be way down the list, but still in front of the US. Vietnam, Thailand or Philippines in no particular order but each with their own quirks to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I'm going to be heading to the UK initially - it's where my family are that I've missed for 2 years, it is where I've got friends, places to stay, etc. I have a little fantasy about - depending on global situation at the time - going somewhere like Barcelona or Berlin, taking an AirBnB for a month and just chilling the fuck out for a bit.

After that... to be honest, there's a fair chance I'll spend some time in the UK, but otherwise Israel is probably most likely - I was heading there before I got diverted to Hong Kong 17 years ago, I've also got people there, I've lived there before, I don't need a visa and there should be plenty of tech work there. Canada or elsewhere in Europe could also be options - but I think I'm done with East Asia...
    I miss lots of aspects of Hong Kong (particularly the weather in that sweet spot of March/April and October/November) and there are many other places I would rather live too but when it comes down to it the UK is where my Family and long term friends are. Given our ages of 59 and having only gone to HK when I was 55 we were/are far more established in UK rather that HK which was a nice but short diversion in life.

Also UK wins hands down in western culture (Theatre, Music) and I really missed that. popping to London tomorrow to take in a show which is still a pleasure after 3 year of desert in HK. My travelling now is from the UK as a base. We managed nearly 5 months of it in the last year!!
    Last edited by Pauljoecoe; 18-02-2022 at 01:28 AM.

Covid refugees have been turning up in Zhuhai

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...-kong-stowaway

Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Covid refugees have been turning up in Zhuhai

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...-kong-stowaway
    Pretty sure local media already reported that these were actually illegal immigrants from the mainland in the first place, hence to go back they had to sneak back in illegally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by eightfivetwo:
    Pretty sure local media already reported that these were actually illegal immigrants from the mainland in the first place, hence to go back they had to sneak back in illegally as well.
    Source please...

Good Luck Chuckster and VMLinuz.
    Don't forget to post how good life is after leaving HK

Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Source please...
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/poli...mpaign=3167310

For the well healed expat looking for a 'bit' of extra space, plenty of on-site and under cover parking and fresh air. lol

Located in Chandler/Newfarm, Brisbane and looking for expressions of interest.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/glamo...ecord-1082451/

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    For the well healed expat looking for a 'bit' of extra space, plenty of on-site and under cover parking and fresh air. lol

Located in Chandler/Newfarm, Brisbane and looking for expressions of interest.

https://www.domain.com.au/news/glamo...ecord-1082451/
    Stuck on a small block of land with no view and a city council dump across the road.

Name:  dump.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  99.1 KB
    vmlinuz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Stuck on a small block of land with no view and a city council dump across the road.

Name:  dump.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  99.1 KB
    Yet it's rumoured that it will fetch the highest price paid in Queensland. And I don't know how you decided that 1 hectare ( 2.5 acres) is a small block, umm what?

The house alone is 3300 square metres, in fact the garage is bigger and more expensive than most luxury Australian family homes in its own right.

Interesting what people build out here.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 19-02-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    emx and bdw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Used my airmiles to book tickets to UK

One way to Manchester/ Fin Air / 3 Pax (2 adults n 1 child) = HK$1182
    All the best Chuckster.

I have been living the 'Good Life' for 18 months here in rural France, however the young one is not so enthused with growing her own vege & chopping wood, so she is off to Manchester in a couple of months. After growing up in Hong Kong she wants city living back, can't say I blame her. Also thinking of splitting time between the UK and here. Even with all the problems over there, it still has something I miss.

If you are a facebook person, there is a group called Expats Returning to UK that I have found helpful.
    shri, hullexile and chuckster007 like this.

Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 56 ... LastLast