Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Humans have a tendency to lack foresight and change intentions. 20 years ago, did you have any intention of living in the country you are now?

On top of this, PR application is dead easy and free. Work visa is much harder, need employer letter, pay $200 or so, do every 3 years. To get PR, just show your HKID, passport, and last 7 years of visa stickers in the passport (might need to show your old expired passport for that). Thats it, done. Get a new ID card with the word "permanent" on it. A nice souvenir before you bugger off and never come back again (but still collect $10k in handouts and $5k in consumption vouchers for the next few years if you've got a friend in HK who can buy an octopus for you and beep it on those machine thingys in the MTR ).
    I am only saying that it is a very strange thing to deny yourself PR status which doesn't come at the cost of a loss of citizenship, it gives you more options in life potentially if for some reason some opportunity comes by in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Philips:
    If you are not actually here when they distribute free money you don't get anything. And the money is finished, thanks to Carrie Lam's management.
    My sister has not missed one bit of money despite not being here. There's no harm in getting PR. I'm still struggling to understand what is the downside. There may not be huge forseeable upside for some but there's no downside. It's not like you have to renounce anything for it.
    Sage likes this.

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...gtype=homepage

"Meanwhile, the law of unintended consequences strikes home. Hong Kong’s Covid-19 case numbers are soaring, not because isolation rules were too weak but too strict. As a wealthy society, we are admitted softies. However, faced with the threat that a positive test leads to incarceration for two weeks in a construction cabin, with a hole in the floor for relief and three antisocial roommates for company, there might be little incentive to report illness.
    According to government statistics, more than 70,000 people – almost 1 per cent of the city’s 2021 population – left Hong Kong last month. Many of them are leaving to escape testing lockdowns. Sadly, only some of them plan to return. Richard Harris is chief executive of Port Shelter Investment and is a veteran investment manager, banker, writer and broadcaster and financial expert witness"
    Sage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    The Singapore visa situation should give you Oude on that argument
    It really wouldn't be a problem for me. I'd do it under their GIP scheme if I had to.

Yes. If they yanked all schemes and refused visas, but I certainly wouldn't want go to there then.

My son enroute to University flew HKG Sing-Brisbane yesterday on Singapore Airlines- the one way ticket cost the same as what they used to charge for Business
    We got there almost three hours early- the queue was 60 meters long- numerous families with a shit load of bags- obviously emigrating- took 1 hour twenty minutes to check in- they have to check PCR test, Australian Govt declaration form Vaccination cert etc
    This Govt sucks- 56k local transmissions and 4 imported and airlines blocked - makes zero sense

Giggsy, pin, Elegiaque and 2 others like this.

We are having countless requests at work to relocate either permanently or temporarily. If requests cannot be accommodated people are quitting and leaving HK.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    We are having countless requests at work to relocate either permanently or temporarily. If requests cannot be accommodated people are quitting and leaving HK.
    Seeing similar all across the board. What industry are you in?

Staff in my HK office telling me they are fleeing to Thailand for a while. Since I run IT, they are asking me if their mobile will work there. I said yeah it works but roaming is always expensive so if you are going to be there for a while get a local Thai sim otherwise finance are going to yell at you when they see the bill

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Staff in my HK office telling me they are fleeing to Thailand for a while. Since I run IT, they are asking me if their mobile will work there. I said yeah it works but roaming is always expensive so if you are going to be there for a while get a local Thai sim otherwise finance are going to yell at you when they see the bill
    There are a lot of $15 day passes available from mobile companies.
    bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Do you have pets? To move pets to Japan is a long process that needs 6-7 months time.
    Luckily I don't. Just wondering about everyday expenses compared to HK.

Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 ... LastLast