Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 49 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 ... LastLast

I'm heading out of HK on the 29th of March. This will more or less be a trip to make a final decision on whether to completely quit HK or not. Will be gone for around 3.5-4 months. So I guess there's another data point of 3 people "leaving".

hullexile, shri, vmlinuz and 4 others like this.

Visiting family after 2.5 years. Will be out of HK for 3 to 4 months. Considering new roles in Vietnam (or SG too but that could be tricky due to work permit issues there). Maybe another 4-6 months for leaving HK (sadly). I've worked in Vietnam previously so willing to give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    The period starting Feb 8. saw the biggest jump in bookings, a time when Hong Kong’s leader Carrie Lam was flagging ever tighter Covid restrictions. Public gatherings were limited to two from four, hair salons were closed, and stricter vaccine checks were required in shopping malls and supermarkets. Talks of mass lockdowns had also started to swirl early last month.

“People’s motivation is more to escape from a surge in Covid as more than 70 percent of travelers booked one-way tickets, increasing from only 26 percent pre-pandemic,” said Olivier Ponti, ForwardKeys’ vice president of insights.

I think Olivier Ponti needs to get a new job
    AsianXpat0, Cheeky Kiwi and aw451 like this.

In my daughter’s class, more and more kids now join zoom lessons from Australia, Japan, Dubai, Singapore, London. Most of them temporary relocated to be close to family, some seem to be open to the idea of not coming back.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Also pulling the trigger to visit family in the US after nearly 3 years. Had a hell of a time finding a flight on CX but managed to overpay 4x what I would normally pay for a one way flight to LAX. Will spend a few months in the US and figure out how to return to HK sometime later in the summer...

Mrs. Jones and Elegiaque like this.

We left last week. I still feel heartbroken but Hong Kong is not the city I used to remember. I can't believe how different the UK is. No masks, zero QR codes, everything is open and busy. We just walked through immigration and they only asked for our passports. It is nice to feel some freedom after a crazy few years.

tf19, Elegiaque, shri and 11 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel_:
    We left last week. I still feel heartbroken but Hong Kong is not the city I used to remember. I can't believe how different the UK is. No masks, zero QR codes, everything is open and busy. We just walked through immigration and they only asked for our passports. It is nice to feel some freedom after a crazy few years.
    Did you need a negative covid test for the flight even?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Did you need a negative covid test for the flight even?
    Quite a few places are dropping that requirement. I can confirm India does not need any tests to be done if you are dou le vaccinated. Appears that Singapore is ok with a RAT test done by one of the testing vendors for boarding - no need for pcr.

Seems many internal EU flights don't need a covid test.

As a mental exercise I had planed several routes and all of them needed a covid test to return to HK..

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Quite a few places are dropping that requirement. I can confirm India does not need any tests to be done if you are dou le vaccinated. Appears that Singapore is ok with a RAT test done by one of the testing vendors for boarding - no need for pcr.

Seems many internal EU flights don't need a covid test.

As a mental exercise I had planed several routes and all of them needed a covid test to return to HK..
    Encouraging to hear the governments are dropping this. It's yet another headache to consider for timing when the time comes to get on a plane. But are the airlines requiring it?

Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 49 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 65 ... LastLast