Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Ironically things were fine in 2007 - although some of the commentary on the future was somewhat prophetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfNmVAIrlU

Sage likes this.

A bit more so so by 2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIkG9TcHqyY

Thanks for the last two videos. Be interested to see a summary in 6 years time.

Sage and dossier like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Also note that the Guardian seems to have stopped crediting their reporters based in HK. A previous article from their HK staff is simply credited as ‘staff and agencies’, this one ‘Guardian reporter’ while one about the welcome received by HKers in the U.K. is credited as per usual (presumably a U.K. based reporter). Quite telling.
    Gatts, Baklava, TheBrit and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    Thanks for the last two videos. Be interested to see a summary in 6 years time.
    Interviewing the exiled community.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere:

"There is a watershed, a turning point, which Hong Kong will experience a rapid ageing population and if the present situation continues, I think that would have some significant impact on the population development of Hong Kong," he said.

"It means there will be less economic producers in Hong Kong and we would need to work harder to attract foreign talents to come to Hong Kong."

In a statement last week, the government said the drop from mid-2020 to mid-2021 can be attributed to a natural decrease, whereby the number of deaths was higher than the number of births.
    https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...1-20210816.htm

and

Speaking in an interview in a university on Friday, Fan pointed out that the turnout rates of full-time doctors and nurses were 4.6 percent and 6.5 percent from last July to this June.

The figure rose by 0.9 percent compared to that recorded in the same period last year.

He also deduced that the turnover rate increased due to the emigration wave, as he found out that staffers had applied for detailed service records and paid their taxes earlier.

He said private hospitals saw doctors leaving the city amid the emigration wave as well. They then recruit doctors from public hospitals, which worsens the situation, according to Fan.

The need for public hospital services surged as the population is aging and younger citizens are getting chronic illnesses.
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...tion/4/178812/

less “producers“? that's great! less ”producers” means less people toiling endlessly, never seeing the light of day, because a tiny minority can afford to pay them to do all their dirty jobs. and they can't charge these ex-producers with sedition, they're already dying from a lifetime of manual labor! “department of national security“, have you heard me, loud and clear?

Last edited by timothwc; 16-08-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    To put it another way, if I'd been able to travel for leisure and/or to see my family this year, I probably wouldn't feel quite so strongly about HK no longer being a place I can happily live long-term.
    This is 100% exactly how I feel. Maybe this place wouldn't be as bad if I didn't feel like I had to deal with the continuing onslaught of just about everything in HK.
    Mcdavid, Sage, Elegiaque and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I spoke to an upmarket hairdresser today, very long term HK resident, all his clients are expats (he's been trying to attract the local market but they won't pay his kinda rates)

He said in the last 6 months he's lost over 30 personal clients through them returning to UK/US/Oz/Europe and that he was going to have to lay someone off this week as business was tough.

nnmmm maybe lower the price?
    MatthieuTofu, esdthomas and Corrib like this.

Quote Originally Posted by match_d:
    nnmmm maybe lower the price?
    mmmmm maybe you don't appreciate the price inelasticity of the tight arse local market?

Maybe, just maybe, he's better keeping a smaller premium clientele paying high end prices, than trying to compete against the myriad of local salons?
    jgl likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast