Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by swhk07:
    Re-opening the border to the mainland requires a 0-case policy. This means closing the borders even further to the rest of the world (i.e. matching China's border restrictions).

That's not a choice that many will want in Hong Kong.
    HK already have had zero cases for 2+ months by now, yet still inter-travel requires quarantine. There are many people who want to cross that border and return but it's still inconvenient, timely and expensive. There is nothing more HK could do at this point, cases are already zero.
    Last edited by tropic; 14-08-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    As have many of my expat acquaintances / friends (e.g. a handful who worked for NYT and moved to South Korea..).

We're one of the blind men describing an elephant which might be ready to take a huge shit on us ...
    i was expecting it to be a dragon or at least a panda

Quote Originally Posted by tropic:
    There is nothing more HK could do at this point, cases are already zero.
    Not true. They could go for a much more realistic living with Covid strategy like Singapore is doing, instead of what they're doing now as it will lead to years of isolation, especially if the only outlook is opening up to China only. Professor Cowling also agrees:

https://twitter.com/bencowling88/sta...53761322921987
    dossier and caipiroska like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    They could go for a much more realistic living with Covid strategy like Singapore is doing,
    Singapore is not doing anything. It's **saying** they will do something, but not taking any actual action. Restrictions in SG are stricter than in HK, and actually enforced.
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

will this be a plus for hk's vaunted health system? all the Chinese newspapers are celebrating this as the end of medical politicization

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Singapore is not doing anything. It's **saying** they will do something, but not taking any actual action.
    Not true, Singapore has abandoned zero Covid strategy, and is actively planning to open up. Wake me when the same happens in HK.
    https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/si...06-p58gmt.html
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Not true, Singapore has abandoned zero Covid strategy, and is actively planning to open up. Wake me when the same happens in HK.
    Yep so well that a couple of days after announcing they abandoned zero covid, they banned dine-in for a month (now reopened).

The only change is in the daily WhatsApp message: they now tell you the number of hospitalised ppl with covid before the number of new daily cases.

It's a gradual change, I'll let you know if and when thy stop reporting daily new cases, or if there is any other **real** change.
    Cheeky Kiwi and MatthieuTofu like this.

Ironically things were fine in 2007 - although some of the commentary on the future was somewhat prophetic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SfNmVAIrlU

Sage likes this.

A bit more so so by 2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIkG9TcHqyY

Thanks for the last two videos. Be interested to see a summary in 6 years time.

Sage and dossier like this.

Page 6 of 71 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast