This, anyone interested dm me, I lived and worked there for a bit
    alexdown and aw451 like this.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...xpatriates-who

And here was me thinking we were shaking out the paperhands at last

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...xpatriates-who

And here was me thinking we were shaking out the paperhands at last
    Ahem: https://twitter.com/murdochsj/status...KmupdVkKw&s=19

The first time I read “paperhands” as propaganda, which indeed would have made more sense.

As usual headline “They are coming back: Hong Kong expatriates who left as Covid-19 infections shot up make plans to return”

vs reality in the text

The sales and marketing consultant, who lived in Hong Kong for more than a decade, said they were planning to return early next month but would leave for good if the city did not introduce quarantine-free travel by the end of the year.

Pamela said she was in the minority among her friends who were returning. About 35 couples in her social circle had left for good or had made plans to do so over the past six months, she noted.
    Perhaps this better belongs in the “SCMP bias” thread.

You give me the feeling that you would think “ARKK has more than doubled in 5 years” would be a more appropriate headline than “ARKK has lost most investors money” at the current time.

Sorry, I think I was disappointed by my misreading the first time.
    Gatts and MatthieuTofu like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianXpat0:
    The first time I read “paperhands” as propaganda, which indeed would have made more sense.

As usual headline “They are coming back: Hong Kong expatriates who left as Covid-19 infections shot up make plans to return”

vs reality in the text

Perhaps this better belongs in the “SCMP bias” thread.

You give me the feeling that you would think “ARKK has more than doubled in 5 years” would be a more appropriate headline than “ARKK has lost most investors money” at the current time.

Sorry, I think I was disappointed by my misreading the first time.
    35 couples in their social circle "had left"? that's quite a circle, I barely enjoy the company of 35 people worldwide, let alone 35 couples just in HK!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    35 couples in their social circle "had left"? that's quite a circle, I barely enjoy the company of 35 people worldwide, let alone 35 couples just in HK!
    I guess it speaks to the possibilities for the social sort living in the old Hong Kong. As a consolation you probably know more than 35 hiking trails in HK or something.

A few interesting Hong Kong encounters for me in the last week or so in my home town (soon to be city courtesy of the queen!!!) of Milton Keynes.

1. A Hong Kong family turned up at our church. Mum, Dad, 3 kids. Been here 6 months. Mums got a job but Dad hasn't. Kids settling in at school but not got great English.

2. I'm doing a little exam invigilation at a local Secondary school. 2 Kids taking the Chinese GCSE, one in Mandarin, one in Cantonese. The Cantonese girl was from Hong Kong. Moved to Milton Keynes 9 months ago, Lovely kid, seems to be doing well. Said the GCSE exam was easy! (so it should be for a native Cantonese speaker. I think the school enter these kids to get additional good results for the school. This week we've had Urdu, Italian, German, as well as Manderin and Cantonese)

3. Today I bumped into a guy at a pub breakfast with a group of friends. Just moved here from HK with wife and kids.

For someone who doesn't have a wide social circle, - not working so not meeting masses of people that's a fair number in less than a fortnight.

p.s. It's notable that it's the Chinese kids in school still wearing the masks!

@Pauljoecoe à local friend of mine said she went to a going away party. I asked where the family was going - - Milton Keynes! I chuckled, because I don't have a high impression of it. They apparently also have never been, so I don't think they know what they're committing to. Apparently they sold their apartment, so can live a few years without working full time. What was important to them is to get the kids in a school. They chose MK because they had other friends who went there. Looking forward to see if this influx of middle class Hong Kongers can make MK more cosmopolitan! ...

How funny they're going there...

shri and blandy62 like this.

It's the concrete cows Does it every time.

Closed Thread
Page 61 of 107 FirstFirst ... 53 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 69 ... LastLast