Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 55 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    I've got a 24 hour layover in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for my upcoming theoretically temporary visit to the UK. Spent the last week using my expiring annual leave to do a Swedish Death Cleanup just in case.
    Ethiopia is an amazing destination, it should be on everyone's must-see list. Unfortunately Addis isn't a highlight, but definitely worth a day trip...

Singapore will save us all

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Do you know what is just as tough - if not more - than teaching online for that period? Kids having to learn online. And then the one adult figure they've put trust in to help them through just abandons them because apparently she felt like she couldn't handle it any more.Totally selfish.

Hope she gets all she deserves in UK. Fingers crossed it is bad as mine was. Then she'll really know what stress and pressure is. A little bit more than the huge stress (sarcasm) of managing toddlers online ffs.

"She's a fantastic teacher".

Clearly not.
    You sound very bitter.
    Sage likes this.

We're waiting for a contract to start confirming things. But we've booked a concert, complete splurge, in July. So, our lives must radically change to finally get out of here to get to that concert.

Job interview was no for me, but very grateful for the experience of the interview, will help a lot if I get interviews closer to where we plan to relocate.

Can't believe how much our total household income will be cut by leaving, though. Always painful to do that calculation. Even if the price of cheese will be less.

Cheeky Kiwi and Giggsy like this.

Bets on total departures for March?

I say 95,000

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    Bets on total departures for March?

I say 95,000
    At 82,550 so far ..

https://webb-site.com/dbpub/hkpax.asp
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    Not a surprise. Not that it will be a concern for the HK government. Mainland's "best and brightest" can replace them all is the mentality.
    Mrs. Jones and BCD like this.

A friend is moving to Japan, the company (Japanese origin) has been in the process of winding up operations in HK, half of the staffs have been moved to other parts of Asia and half are moving to Japan and sadly bye-bye to locals.. They couldnt move for over a year due to covid related restrictions though now Japan has finally opened the door so he went to apply the visa, turns out application acceptance is by appointment only which is available after a month as there is backlog of around 120k applications..
    No clue how many of them are actually moving and what percentages are business/leisure traveller, either way it seems exodus will speed up for various reasons..

Japan still is not open for tourists/leisure travellers so zero for that. The backlog are people who were granted the right to move to Japan (CoE) but final visa issuance has been delayed for months/years. Japan really should have opened it borders a long long time ago.

ndt and Mrs. Jones like this.

Page 63 of 71 FirstFirst ... 55 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast