Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 57 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast

If anyone was watching Money Matters on TVB tonight, they may have *ahem seen a story about an expat leaving for a few months...

hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    If anyone was watching Money Matters on TVB tonight, they may have *ahem seen a story about an expat leaving for a few months...
    That guy seemed like a real douche
    vmlinuz likes this.

I’ve only been in the US for 2 days now but I can’t believe how normal it feels here.
    - maybe 10% of the population are wearing masks unless it’s compulsory (eg airports)
    - airports (LAX and SEA) are HEAVING. I haven’t been around crowds this big since 2019
    - no quarantine, contact tracing or vaccine passes anywhere. Basically no restriction of movement
    - I see a lot of business travelers which is something I really really miss about my job (prepandemic)

Other things I forgot about the US
    - people are really freaking friendly and polite
    - pedestrians have the right of way in traffic
    - food and drinks are way cheaper here
    - public transit is much worse of course but getting an uber is super easy and cheap

Other than family obligations I can’t fathom why anyone would choose to stay in HK

Skyhook, AsianXpat0, shri and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Well, I'm out and signing off.
    Missed this post. Hope to have a beer or two with you in some corner of the world and discuss synthetic etfs and wht.. Assuming that does not bore the crap out of you.
    greenmark likes this.

several decades later, archeologists will marvel at how hong kong has had the highest property prices for years, up until its collapse, even tho the city has been nigh uninhabitable for 90 percent of its people all this time

tf19 and Baklava like this.

Because those properties were just a money parking vehicle

statman and tf19 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    I’ve only been in the US for 2 days now but I can’t believe how normal it feels here.
    - maybe 10% of the population are wearing masks unless it’s compulsory (eg airports)
    - airports (LAX and SEA) are HEAVING. I haven’t been around crowds this big since 2019
    - no quarantine, contact tracing or vaccine passes anywhere. Basically no restriction of movement
    - I see a lot of business travelers which is something I really really miss about my job (prepandemic)

Other things I forgot about the US
    - people are really freaking friendly and polite
    - pedestrians have the right of way in traffic
    - food and drinks are way cheaper here
    - public transit is much worse of course but getting an uber is super easy and cheap

Other than family obligations I can’t fathom why anyone would choose to stay in HK
    I've been in the UK 3 weeks and it is 100% back to normal. It's such an amazing feeling having zero restrictions and just living life. We have just booked a holiday to Greece and will not require a test or a certificate or anything for any of the flights! I can't believe Hong Kong is still stuck in this crazy hypochondriac bubble.

Hongkongers who moved overseas did not “emigrate” as they did not give up their HKSAR passports, former Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying said.
    In an interview with Sing Tao Daily, the Standard's sister publication, Leung said people “moved homes” but he won't call them emigrants.
    The Hongkongers did not surrender their SAR passports, giving them leeway to return to the city, he said.
    So what should we make of all the pro-Beijing elite's family members with British citizenship?

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...Y-Leung-claims

Quote Originally Posted by MatthieuTofu:
    So what should we make of all the pro-Beijing elite's family members with British citizenship?

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...Y-Leung-claims
    Lol the old saying "I didn't fall on the floor, I just wanted to pick up some gravel"
    muzzdang likes this.

Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 57 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... LastLast