Like Tree1707Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 61 66 67 68 69 70 71 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    That seems to be for companies already established. Surely companies moving from HK will be welcomed with some but not all existing staff?
    It’s nuanced actually. The concern of Singapore is not attracting jobs and well paying tax residents, but rather ensuring the locals have a useful infrastructure, housing and generally don’t feel an overcrowding of Singapore that would negate higher salaries.

So putting 2+2 together, they probably welcome a bit of a shortage of talent especially in the low and middle range which pushes salaries up while not letting too many non-locals in.
    ByeByeEngland and Mrs. Jones like this.

A survey conducted by the Hong Kong Association of Heads of Secondary Schools found that an average of 32 students and seven teachers left each school in the 20/21 school year. He also said that English, Mathematics and Science were the hardest hit areas, and he expected that it would be more difficult to recruit teachers for these schools in the coming years.
    The sudden departure of teachers may lead to a succession gap in the education sector, which will ultimately affect the quality of education, with English, mathematics and science subjects being the worst hit areas. In addition, the loss of students is also worthy of attention. The survey report shows that each school loses nearly one class a year, and there will be a structural decline in the number of students going on to secondary school, describing the future pillar as diminishing.

He said that in recent years, the society has been putting too much pressure on teachers and even proposing unreasonable ways to regulate the education profession.
    https://std.stheadline.com/realtime/article/1841855/
    hullexile likes this.

On the AGM of a well regarded international school recently, they of course spoke about the higher than usual numbers of children who have been withdrawn from school since February. However interestingly they also said a not insignificant number of families had been in touch in the past few weeks to withdraw their withdrawal as they'd changed their minds about leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    On the AGM of a well regarded international school recently, they of course spoke about the higher than usual numbers of children who have been withdrawn from school since February. However interestingly they also said a not insignificant number of families had been in touch in the past few weeks to withdraw their withdrawal as they'd changed their minds about leaving.
    They may change their minds when they find out there are few teachers left.

Spoke with an international school head recently and he said the talent pool is extremely shallow right now and the quality of candidates well below normal.

Also notice HKPF struggling to hire. Not necessarily linked to migration of course - seems HK is simply running out of stupid people.

seems HK is simply running out of stupid people.
    And smart people at the same time..

the talent pool is extremely shallow right now and the quality of candidates well below normal
    GentleGeorge likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    And smart people at the same time..
    The dumb and smart go down in history. The mediocre breed.
    ndt, Rob2020, Mrs. Jones and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    They may change their minds when they find out there are few teachers left.

Spoke with an international school head recently and he said the talent pool is extremely shallow right now and the quality of candidates well below normal.

Also notice HKPF struggling to hire. Not necessarily linked to migration of course - seems HK is simply running out of stupid people.
    Yes agreed, recruitment is a huge problem across multiple industries, particularly those who need to recruit from overseas. I don't think it's an issue for certain schools, as they will poach from the less desirable employer schools.
    drumbrake likes this.

An update from me (good procrastination)...

We are set to go at the end of this month. To Europe, job transfer -- it took ages to get sorted. I still don't have a job lined up and yes, it's a pay cut and there will be higher taxes and costs of living. So, we've had our doubts. The crisis in Ukraine/Russia also does not bode well, and I think HK is in a safer place in terms of resource security -- although a bit ironically that was one issue that made me keen to get out as we're vulnerable, too (being an isolated "island" dependent on other countries and infrastructure for food).

But the whole community isolation camps, locking up and throwing away the key of people I found useful in the community, the whole it's-the-law-to-give-us-your-pet thing still makes me confident that it's right to leave. We need a breath of fresh air and more mobility -- we are just so bored here. But I do think there will be plenty of (naive) people looking for high salaries and to get away from their own issues (America, eastern Europeans), so I think HK will bounce back soon enough. Having been burnt out for three years now here, though, the high salaries are just not for us anymore when we've been robbed of life...

I haven't left the city for nearly 3 years. That was definitely never part of the deal, even though I'm all keen to reduce our carbon emissions from flying!!! Even if we had had the ability to travel in China, it would have made a big difference.

Kind of slowly saying good bye to geo, too, as I find it less and less relevant now to my daily life.

Anyway, hoping all goes smoothly in the next weeks -- packing, clearing up things here, getting things set up there, preparing my kitties. We'll be back soon for a visit, though, and are still "HK residents" for a few further months before the new contract kicks in.

I'll be back for a final good bye.

Page 69 of 71 FirstFirst ... 61 66 67 68 69 70 71 LastLast