Like Tree2168Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 77 82 83 84 85 86 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    Having spent considerable amount of time growing up in foreign countries, I can confidently say that every country talks about national pride, being "American, Canadian, British, Scottish, etc.....". I think it's common to have it in the curriculum. In history we always talked about how land was conquered, and by who, etc. We all had to stand up and sing the national anthem every morning before classes start. Is that not "pro-government" propaganda as well in some shape or form?
    In the countries you mention, this was pro-national propaganda, perhaps. Certainly not pro-government. Because the ruling parties could change every 3-5 years (as mentioned above).

Also, there is considerable public discourse in these, and any comparable countries, that discuss alternate or dissenting points of view. In some places, the primary school takes on history are now very critical of the formative years of the nation (which I don't necessarily agree is a useful thing even for the indigenous people of those countries, but it certainly is a thing).

I'm not aware that anthem or flag ceremonies are a regular part of school life in these countries either. Perhaps 40 years ago. I was just talking to someone the other day, who grew up in Washington in the 80s as an immigrant and I asked him about the anthem (which it seems nobody knows the words to anyway). He mentioned that one single high school teacher had them recite the Pledge of Allegiance, which at the time he found very annoying. Every other class ignored it, so it was just a case of one nutty teacher and not an institutionalised pattern.

So whilst I appreciate your earnest intent towards discourse, I think that what you are suggesting as comparisons are totally off base- either rooted in experiences decades out of date, or false equivalences.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    I am not defending anything/anyone here, I am just trying to view everything from a wide angle and non-bias lens.
    Whilst this is a noble sounding sentiment, in my mind it veers perilously close to the "just asking questions" line from people such as Joe Rogan. There is trying to be unbiased, and there is comparing apples to oranges and deciding that they are wheelbarrows.
    Last edited by jgl; 26-10-2022 at 03:58 PM.
    ndt, hullexile, 7jai and 3 others like this.

Well at least the majority of us (I assume) have choices to make. There are those who don't have many choices and are stuck with the status quo. Those are the people I empathize the most, rather than our 'first world problems'.

Btw, just a side question, have you all moved from HK already? Or still based in HK?

Last edited by 7jai; 26-10-2022 at 04:27 PM.

I think the posters who have left HK have probably already stated so, in this very thread

Nobody on this page, and maybe 50% of the preceding 3 pages.

Interesting conversation with some neighbours in the playground as we watched our kids play. People are staying here if they have family or business obligations, but they don't see a future for their kids here. One guy (100% local, family ties into Guangdong) was saying initially he'd planned for his kids to go to university here, but that's totally off the cards now.

7jai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I think the posters who have left HK have probably already stated so, in this very thread

Nobody on this page, and maybe 50% of the preceding 3 pages.

Interesting conversation with some neighbours in the playground as we watched our kids play. People are staying here if they have family or business obligations, but they don't see a future for their kids here. One guy (100% local, family ties into Guangdong) was saying initially he'd planned for his kids to go to university here, but that's totally off the cards now.
    Haven't left HK yet but my parents are resolved to leave HK by the end of January. That would probably end up with me leaving HK perhaps in a year or two afterwards. When it gets final, I'll write the "story".
    shri likes this.

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 77 82 83 84 85 86 LastLast