Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 86 of 107 FirstFirst ... 78 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 ... LastLast

London, Manchester, Birmingham, and the south east have great food choices, and much better access to diverse foods than in HK. But once you're in smaller cities, or in the north you just have a giant morrisons, Iceland, sainsburys, with a crap selection of prepackaged food that you have to drive to.

Quote Originally Posted by O_O:
    London, Manchester, Birmingham, and the south east have great food choices, and much better access to diverse foods than in HK. But once you're in smaller cities, or in the north you just have a giant morrisons, Iceland, sainsburys, with a crap selection of prepackaged food that you have to drive to.
    Not sure where you lived in the north but in Hull, within walking distance of where I lived, was Lebanese, Thai, Indian, Chinese, French, Spanish tapas, and of course pub food and fish and chips.

Leeds was good too. No idea of other places.

"The north" is a big place.

Umm maybe I need to be more specific. UK as a WHOLE is much larger and of course there would be more restos compared to HK. But HK has convenient choices steps away and generally cheaper than UK.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Umm maybe I need to be more specific. UK as a WHOLE is much larger and of course there would be more restos compared to HK. But HK has convenient choices steps away and generally cheaper than UK.
    Did you see my last post? Within walking distance.

Compared to HK of course. Canada is shit for food too lol (but cheaper than UK)
    What on earth are you rambling about?

London, Manchester, Birmingham, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal. Could go on forever.

Even small towns have immigrant populations with their restaurants. Unlike Hong Kong.

What's next? The US and Australia are 'shit for food'.
    natino likes this.

Canada has shitty food. I didnt like the food in the UK like many of my friends. Chill the fuck out its all just a preference.

Canada has shitty food. I didnt like the food in the UK like many of my friends. Chill the fuck out its all just a preference.
    Which food did you not like, specifically? The entire multi cultural food offering? A specific dish?

It isn't 1972 any more you know. UK has a huge variety of food.
    Beanieskis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Did you see my last post? Within walking distance.
    I think I know what the problem is that is causing this drawn out conversation. Put simply, 'some' Hong Kongers like my nephew for example, can be extremely inflexible to any foods 'outside' of their cultural acceptance of, or are unfamiliar with. Plus this type of absolutely culturally learnt mentality like, Filipino's, have to eat steamed rice on a daily basis, which did irk me a little when I took my nephew to Paris.

over time, now that London's Hong Kong Diaspora has increased in population size, neighbourhoods where most of that population live/work, will offer Hong Kong style Cha Chaan teng places to eat with a menu culturally specific to their 'taste' for breakfast etc plus the fave Korean Hot Pot places, a char siu/roast duck place, a Asian grocery shop and a myriad of HK style processed food bakery's. This is what the DYU meant I think, as these places are aimed at the specific diaspora not Anglo locals, not unless the locals have travelled extensively enough to have an open mind to foods outside their cultural norm.

My nephew really was a major pain in the arse when we travelled with him, as he demanded that he had steamed rice and wanted his acceptable version of Chinese food which in Paris is difficult unless you are in Torcy, which we didn't live near !

Anyway, it pays to be open minded to trying new cultural cuisines when you live abroad, which is all part of the fun and the experience.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 08-01-2023 at 03:30 PM.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Which food did you not like, specifically? The entire multi cultural food offering? A specific dish?

It isn't 1972 any more you know. UK has a huge variety of food.
    I spent 3 months in London back in 2018. Didnt find anything particularly tasty. Epsecially asian cuisine.
    calmathetic9 and alexdown like this.

I spent 3 months in London back in 2018. Didnt find anything particularly tasty. Epsecially asian cuisine.
    That is just weird. Three months in London and you didn't find anything tasty? Did you eat in McDo the whole time? Which if the very limited choice of dozens of cuisines did you try?
    Beanieskis likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 86 of 107 FirstFirst ... 78 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 94 ... LastLast