Like Tree284Likes

Nicole Kidman's TV show "Expats"

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Kidman is a fab actress, but HK's decision to let her in without quarantine has

now got her unwittingly into a " white privilege" hot water situation which she didn't ask for

and making global headlines for all the wrong reasons..and I guess could be part of the plot of what she is
    filming.

Skyhook and bbchris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dinosaurs88:
    ... unwittingly ...situation which she didn't ask for
    #tone-deaf
    #withoutwit

Then again her behaviour does reflect the HK expat bwanker etc. posse to a tee (except the misguided one with functional conscience faculties who was jailed for helping a hongkonger under attack...)

Perhaps she's playing a regime sycophant foreign force IRL intentionally?
    Last edited by Mefisto; 20-08-2021 at 07:07 AM.
    Gatts and angeluscomplex like this.

Global headline now. As usual - HK Government making decisions without any consideration for the conditions their own citizens must live under. Rather predictable, really.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the film set created a covid cluster? Wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58270417

Come on! Get over it! All animals are equal but some animals are indeed more equal than others. It is 2021 and we have all regressed. In this new dystopia its perfectly OK for people with money, power, and influence to flex and throw their weight around. Why are we outraged at this?

Skyhook, JAherbert and Gatts like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    Global headline now. As usual - HK Government making decisions without any consideration for the conditions their own citizens must live under. Rather predictable, really.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the film set created a covid cluster? Wouldn't surprise me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-58270417
    Yup, my mum mentioned it to me yesterday, she'd heard from Sky News (the respected UK version, not the Fox-News-alike Australian one). Just an oddity for most of the world, and it'll be forgotten there by tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevil_666:
    This is Hong Kong. She'd need to up her budget for such extravagances. I think its more of a suburbian McMansion in Florida. Compared to her home in Australia, she'd probably consider herself slumming it.
    Look what you can get out our way for the same price you have to pay for a 3 bedroom apartment that would be about the same floor space as the 3 car garage provided in the house below, where most houses have an inground pool included.

You don't get much in HK when it comes to housing at any end of the price spectrum. Your value goes considerably further here, with fully appointed homes that you'd be proud to live in and enjoy. Not much housing enjoyment in Hong Kong, always so many constraints.
    https://www.domain.com.au/21-karinya...564-2014698864
    How nice would it be to wake up here every morning, enjoying a cuppa on your waterfront terrace or by the pool. You don't need to be Nicole Kidman to live in a fully appointed house, any professionally employed middle class family can do it here. Pretty normal
    Last edited by Skyhook; 20-08-2021 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Backlash absolutely deserved.
    Plenty of people more deserving of exceptions than Nicole Kidman. Even the article mentions the athletes who have done more for Hong Kong than she has or will ever do.
    Absolutely! As all the other backlashes highlighted in the article.
    Pick the one that unnerves you the most. Plenty to choose from...

For me, the most annoying aspect is the realization that these two new series about affluent expats in HK seem to be part of a bigger propaganda effort to rebrand HK globally, focusing on the people who are, usually, or at least stereotypically, avulse from the social and political context.

I'm looking forward to revisiting this thread in six months when the show reveals that real expat life is just a bundle of people posting WCIF threads here.

shri, JAherbert, Elegiaque and 5 others like this.

I am sure it will be a totally realistic haha

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast